Chapter 6

***Des, Earth - age 26***

Leo walked into the café and headed straight to the back for the stairs that led to the apartment he shared with Des. Everyone moved out of his way, his foul mood obvious. He didn’t look at anyone and kept his gaze on the floor in front of him. He was almost to the stairs when someone stepped in front of him, almost causing him to run into the person. He looked up ready to snarl at who ever it was and then had to look up a bit more to meet the golden amber eyes of his lovely boyfriend. Normally just being near Des calmed him, but today, it just made him feel worse. Leo looked back down at the floor.

“Hey Des.” He said.

“What’s the matter Leo? You look angry.” Des said, concerned.

“I…I can’t talk now. I’m to…I’m just so…I can’t yet.” He replied as he scrubbed his hands through his hair roughly.

“Let me call someone to cover….”

“No. Do your shift.” Leo said quickly.

“But…” Des started. Leo still hadn’t looked up at him.

“I just need a while…to sit and think. Maybe have a few drinks. I need a little time Des, just a little while.” Leo said quietly. “Please.”

“Alright…” Des replied. It hurt to be pushed away even a little. Leo could hear the strain in Des voice. “I’ll be up after closing.” Leo reached out and gave Des’ hand a gentle squeeze and Des could see a small bit of tension leave him at being granted time to sort his emotions.

“Thank you.” He said and he made for the steps.

“I love you, Leo. I’m right here if you need anything.” Des said, fearing Leo might not be able to return the words.

Leo paused and finally met Des’ eyes. "I love you too Des. I love you so much.” Leo replied. Des didn’t know if that reply made him feel better or worse.

****

Leo climbed the stairs and entered the apartment. He leaned back against the door for a moment. He hadn’t actually lived here but a few months. He and Des had talked and since Leo had only slept at his place once or twice a month (with Des), they decided that they might as well make it official. He ended the lease at his place, he and Des went through both places and kept the furniture they liked best for the café apartment and put the rest in storage. They had kept Des’ bedroom set and living room furniture and Leo’s entertainment center. Most of Leo’s kitchen items had went into storage. Des being the owner of a coffee shop that also hand made fresh pastries daily (all of which Des created) made him sort of a professional, that and he had actually went to pastry school before moving here. So Des’ kitchen was stocked with pretty much anything you could think of. After just over a year of dating, Leo still couldn’t figure out how Des made all that junk fit in his small kitchen.

Des also insisted that he place all of the various items he had collected in his travels, throughout the apartment. So, with all that, their now shared apartment had an odd look to it. Two completely different styles mingled into one. Leo loved it. He liked looking around and seeing bits of his life next to bits of Des’ life. Completely different, but it fit perfectly. Just like him and Des. Now though, it hurt. He had a decision to make, even though he already knew what it would be, he would allow himself time to think it over and morn the loss of a dream. He kicked his boots off, went to his liquor cabinet and took the first bottle he touched. He took a drink as he made his way to the couch and sat with his feet up on the low coffee table. He didn’t want to get sloppy drunk, just numb. Not that he could with what he had in stock anyway. For him, sloppy drunk was a mission in itself.  He hadn’t got sloppy drunk since he met Des.