Blessing Part 2

Life watched in awe as Death raised his hands. Above him appeared a large soul moth, about the size of a raven. Rather than being white, it was completely black. Little motes of Deaths dark power rose up from his hands, chest and face. The bits of power settled onto the wings of the moth, creating a white mark of Death. The moth fluttered in place for a moment before Death took it gently in his hands and placed it on the boys forehead. The moth fluttered its wings a few more times before a soft 'poof' was heard and the moth disappeared in a cloud of sparkling dust that settled over the boys body. Wide eyed and amazed by what he'd just witnessed, Life stepped into the room as Death tried to stand.

"Wha...what did you just do?"

Death turned, a little to quickly. He was a bit dizzy from using so much power in a way he'd never done before. He tried to take a step but ended up falling, right into Life's arms. "Easy now. I've got you. Let's sit down." Life said as he lowered them to the floor. "Are you ok? Do we need to go see Medic?"

Death shook his head, "No. Just need a minute. Just a bit dizzy."

"Death, what did you do?"

"Blessing. I felt...something told me...if I blessed him, he would live. I had a choice." Death said softly. He looked up into the beautiful chartreuse eyes of the god he loved, "I chose Life." He said with a weak smile.

"A blessing? You can do that?"

Death laughed, "We can all do that, Life. It's a god-thing you know?"

"Yes, but...you...I mean...uhhh" Life stumbled over his words, afraid to offend.

"This is the first time I've blessed one of your creations. I've always been afraid of what would happen." Death said, answering the unasked question. "I was given the choice today, bless him or take his soul. It wasn't really a choice."

"What happens now?" Life asked.

They both heard someone running towards the room they were in, "DES! DES WHERE ARE YOU?" someone yelled. The door flew open and a tall teenager with messy red hair ran into the room and came to a sudden stop upon seeing the child. "Des?" he asked as tears began to fall. He fell to his knees next to Des, "SOMEONE HELP!!! PLEASE!! HELP US PLEASE!!!" he screamed through his tears. "Stay with me Dizzy boy, don't leave me. Please Dizz." He begged. He was smart enough not to touch Des, knowing the damage inside could be worse. He screamed for help again and a teacher came in, moments later a nurse, then paramedics. Life and Death watched in silence as Des, was loaded onto a stretcher and wheeled away, followed by the boy they now knew was his older brother, Hayden.

"What happens now, Death?" Life asked again.

"He lives. I can't sense his death anymore. I feel...connected to him in a way. Is that normal?" Death asked.

"You get use to it. You will know when he's happy or sad, when he's in danger. If you're nearby, he will feel at peace. You can't directly interfere with his life, but sometimes, you can give a subconscious nudge to help him. At least that's how it works for me. Oh, and he might grow to look like you. Mine always have. That's why you can only have one 'blessed' human at a time." Life explained.

"You make him sound like a pet."

Life laughed, "Maybe, in a way. But I think you will enjoy this. It gives you a better perspective on the lives of humans. I always thought you couldn't bless them. If I had known, I would have encouraged you to do so."

"Life?"

"Yes?"

"Can we go home? I'm very tired." Death asked, working hard to stay awake.