The Dibellan Arts [PART TWO] (Brynjolf x reader)

We sat down at Mercer Frey's old desk. Empty and half empty bottles of mead were strewn across it, making space limited.

The cistern was fairly quiet for a Turdas, so much so that this was the perfect time to discuss everything.

"...but what if it's a boy, lass?"
"But it could be a girl, Bryn."
"But what if it's a boy?"
"Stop worrying. It's probably a girl."

We'd been going over baby names. Over the past several months, we'd gotten married, which was possibly the best thing that had ever happened to me, and found out I was with child. Brynjolf spent the best part of his time with me, making sure I was comfortable, making sure nobody irritated me, everything a caring husband could do when completely oblivious to what will happen.

"Lass?" Brynjolf asked, using a curious tone.
"Brynjolf," I replied, letting him know that he can continue.
He cleared his throat. "Nothing. Just, making sure you're alright."
"Of course I am. Why wouldn't I be?" I answered.
"Because I may or may not have told Delvin that he could name the baby..."
I closed my eyes as a wave of pain surged through me.

My eyes shot open quicker than an arrow.
"You. What?!" I shouted out loud. "How could you! You know I want to name it!"
"Calm down, lass. I-I'll just tell him we changed plans and-"
"Calm down? Calm down? Oh, Brynjolf. I am calm!" At this point, I was seething. The pain was making me angry.

A collection of people had now appeared at the entrance to the cistern. Vex and Delvin stepped forward, effectively dispersing everyone.

"[Y/N]!" Vex called out to me. I closed my eyes again, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Bryn!" Delvin shouted, catching the attention of my husband.

"You alright, [Y/N]?" Vex asked. I shook my head, tears threatening to spill from my eyes.
"No," I croaked out.
"That's just the hormones speaking," she replied, rubbing my back in an attempt to comfort me. It was working, and I could feel myself loosen up. The pain also started to subside slightly.
"Come on, let's go take some girl time, 'kay? Just me and you, like the good old times." I smiled.
"I'd like that."

"Woah there, Bryn. Let's go have some man time, yeah? Let all this cool down," Delvin said at the same time.

Vex and I walked away.
"Want to tell me what that was all about?"
I sighed. "Brynjolf said that he told Delvin he could name the baby-"
"He did what now?!" Vex cried out. "That's ridiculous! Everyone knows that you want to name it!"
"Yeah, well, I don't even know any more..." I started pacing around, wary of the pair of eyes watching my every move.

"Look, stop worrying. It's your baby, you can name it. Whatever Brynjolf said, doesn't matter," Vex finalised after several painfully silent moments.
"Yeah, you're... you're right."
"Hey, cheer up. I saw Madesi with a new set of jewellery this morning," Vex smiled. I did the same, knowing exactly what she was thinking.

* * * * *
"The baby's crying again, love."
"You think I can't hear that?" I replied.

Brynjolf leaned over, pulling me into a sweet embrace.
"I'm all comfy right now, [Y/N]..."
"Alright, alright, I'll go," I laughed.

Since our son, named Gallus in honour of the man, was born, we've gotten next to no sleep. All I wish for is a peaceful night's sleep, but I guess that won't be happening for a while.

I crawled out of bed. The floor was cold, a big contrast to the warm sheets that Brynjolf was in. A shiver made it's way down my spine.

"Cold there, lass?" He cheered. I rolled my eyes.
"Get out here yourself, and find out."
"Oh, no, I think I'll leave that for you!"
"Jerk," I laughed.

Gallus' cot was in a room next to ours. We certainly were not going to share a room with a living noise bomb.
I padded down the hallway, slowly opening his door.

As soon as the door opened, all noise ceased. A small hand appeared from over the side of the cot, moving side to side. A smile graced my lips.

"Now, now, you just caused noise because you wanted attention, isn't that right?" I cooed. "Come on, then."

I walked up to the cot, bending down to pick up the small baby. Gallus wrapped his arms around my shoulders, well, to the best of his ability, anyway. His heavy breathing was loud against my chest, as I brought him to mine and Brynjolf's room.

* * * * *
"Mama, look! I stole a sweet roll!"

I turned around to see Gallus holding up a sweet roll. His face was sweaty and his clothes were caked in mud. A smile was plastered on his face, showing off the green tint in his eyes.

"What happened to you?" I laughed, ruffling his hair lightly.
"I had fun!"

Brynjolf started to chuckle, wrapping me in his arms from behind. I jumped slightly.
"Brynjolf!"
"[Y/N]."
"Gallus, go wash up, you can't stay like that all day," Brynjolf told our son.
"Yes, papa!" And with that, he ran off.

"To think, it's already been seven years..." I sighed.
"They grow up so fast..." Brynjolf agreed.
"Oh yeah?" I grinned, giving him a playful shove.
Brynjolf gave out a hearty laugh. "Well, I suppose some people don't grow up at all, eh, lass?"

* * * * *
"Pa! Ma!" A voice echoed through the Cistern, as clear as day.
"Pa! Ma!"

"Go see what your son wants, [Y/N]," Vex sighed. "He's obviously calling you for a reason."

I huffed, setting my playing cards down.
"Alright, fine, just don't do anything without me," I replied.

"Pa! Ma!"

"Alright, alright, I'm coming!" I shouted back to the voice. At age twenty, you wouldn't think your son would still call you every ten minutes.

"Pa! Ma-"
"I said I'm coming!" I cried out as he came into view, sitting down at my desk.
"Ma!" He said cheerfully.
"Yes, you've successfully stopped my game. Now, what is it?" I sighed.
"I got you and Pa a present!"

My ears perked up at the sound of a free item.
"A present? Well, that changes things! Why didn't you say that!"
"Well, I was getting to that part..." Gallus trailed off.
"The thing is... well..."
"Spit it out, then!"
"I don't know if Pa will like it," he finished.

I smiled at him.
"I'm sure he will, sweetie," I said, ruffling his hair.

Gallus stood up. "You're right! Now, where is Pa?"
"Oh, I'm sure he's around here somewhere," I replied, my eyes scanning the area for any signs of my husband.

Laughter came from the Flagon.
"Ah, he seems to be in there. Let's go."

We walked over to the Flagon. Just as I'd suspected, Brynjolf was there, drinking away the evening with Delvin. Just like they always do.

"Bryn!" I called, getting his attention. The Nord stumbled over to us, his face flushed from all the mead.
"Yes, lass?" He asked sheepishly, a grin plastered on his face in his drunken state.
I shook my head. "Your son wants to talk to you," I giggled.

"Pa, Ma..." Gallus started. A smile crept onto his face. "I got you two a present. I hope you like it," he said, bringing forth a small box.
"Thank you, Gallus," we both said together, taking the box from him.

Inside, was two amulets. Both were made of gold, one with emeralds and one with sapphires. Each piece had to be with at least a few hundred septims each.

I gasped. "Gallus! These are... these are beautiful!"
Brynjolf stood at my side, mouth open in awe.
"I hope you didn't pay for these," I said sternly, placing a hand on my hip.
"Gods, no!" He shouted. "I... found them, in that clothes shop up in Solitude."

Brynjolf looked at me, and I looked at him. Within seconds, smiles were spread across our faces.

"Looks like we've raised the perfect son."
"I couldn't agree more."