6. Hailey

"I am sorry Chris, but I can't miss this, we have an important client meeting the day after tomorrow!"

"I can't believe this Hailey! We planned it like three months ago. We were supposed to be in the flight right now!"

"I know, I am sorry about that but-"

"Really, Hailey? Is that all coincidental or do you not wish to spend time with me? All those early promotions are getting to your head."

I was taken aback at that rude statement. I had tried my best to spend as much time as possible with him, but he couldn't see my efforts. And I was not the only one at fault here; he too had a busy calendar. But no, all responsibility came down to me.

"Chris... I can't- oh my God, how can you even say that to me? It takes two to tango! You aren't available half the time either!"

"It's expected of me! I need to work. Why can't you just choose to stay at home Hailey? You have done well, can't you be a loving wife to me now?"

Oh no he didn't just-

"Chris-" I protested, but he interrupted.

"You probably wouldn't even have landed the interview if I hadn't pushed forward your resume...."

Our last conversation from years ago was circling in my mind. His final statement had always haunted me since then, and I had spent my years trying to prove him wrong, trying to establish my worth and credibility, that I deserved this, that it wasn't because he did something for me. Sometimes there can be other things more important than love, and pride often happens to be one of them.

I wasn't always this prideful, but if the other person is heartless enough to hurt it, it's proof that the love doesn't exist anymore, and it's wasteful to keep holding on.

I pushed him away with a jerk and tried to catch my breath. The next moment, rage surged through me, and I smacked him across the face.

"What the hell, Chris!" I complained.

A small cut seeped out a little blood from his lip which he wiped away with the back of his hand and then smirked, which annoyed me all the more.

"Been a long time since you called me that, Hails."

Chris.

It was out of habit, an old stupid habit of mine that I wanted to get rid of. I didn't want to give him any reason to believe that he had some power over me. He was my past, and he will stay there forever, buried. I don't need him anymore.

And yet, your heart is beating like crazy right now. The red-coloured devil on my left shoulder whispered.

Because he was the only person ever, you kissed! The white-coloured angel on my right shoulder chimed in.

But you don't regret that decision, do you? Go ahead, say a yes, six months of fun! The red devil hissed.

But what about Noah? Weren't you looking forward to experiencing his less stressful life? The white angel reasoned.

Go for both woman; you have nothing to lose anymore! The devil screeched.

No that's cheating! The angel pleaded.

It's not!

It is!

Oh, shut up! I mentally growled and shook my head. Then I immediately rushed through the open door of my apartment and before he could react, shut it on his face. I stood there with my back to the door, a hand on my crazily beating heart, trying to calm it.