36. Falling Back Into Place

"OW! HERMIONE!"

Ron struggled back, holding tightly on to his now bleeding nose. Hermione stood there, her arm still raised, glowering in fury at him.

"What the hell was that for Mione?"

She lowered her fist but immediately reached for her wand and pointed straight to his head. Ron's eyes widened and he let go of his face to hold his hands up in surrender. Watching with slight pleasure as Ron's face flushed and his eyes watered in pain she spat, "I thought I made it quite clear that I never wanted to see you again."

Ron frowned and looked down to his feet, lowing his arms in defeat, "Hermione I needed to see you. To say sorry."

Hermione snorted, "I don't want to hear it Ron. Leave. Now." She raised her wand higher, the end now started to glow slightly.

"Hermione please! Just let me talk." Ron looked up at Hermione, his eye's pleading with hers. She lowered her wand slowly and unwillingly before nodding her head once.

Ron immediately jumped on the opportunity and took a deep breath, launching into his speech, "Hermione, I like you so much. So much. I saw an opportunity to sweep you off your feet and I took it! Draco isn't right for you. Draco-"

"Are you serious Ron? After everything, you still want to tell me what you think is best for me?" She stepped menacingly closer to Ron and glared at him, pointing her finger hard into his chest. "Let me get this through your thick skull. I love Draco. Not you. You've done nothing the past few years to show me that you care for me and now, now that I'm happy you want to do this to me?"

Hermione paused for a moment to watch the words sink in. Ron's face stayed indifferent, not showing a single speck of emotion. She continued, "You're supposed to be my best friend Ron and you weren't. You failed. Now please, leave. I have to see my boyfriend."

Hermione dropped her hand from Ron's chest and searched for any emotion on his face. He stared at her blankly, not moving an inch. Hermione sighed angrily and turned on her heels to walk down to Draco's room.

"If you walk down there, you'll be choosing him over me Hermione. Is that what you want?"

She stopped in her tracks but didn't turn to face him. Speaking slowly and purposefully, her voice dripping with anger she said, "It will always be Draco."

And, without so much as a glance back, she walked away, leaving Ron standing there, with his mouth open in disbelief and his nose still dripping onto his shirt.

As she walked closer to Draco's room, she saw three Healers huddled around the door; their heads close together. As they heard Hermione's footsteps approach, they looked up from their urgent whispering and immediately jumped out of the circle, all smiling widely up at her.

Hermione smiled back and stopped when she approached them. "Good morning," she said politely.

"Good morning Ms. Granger!" One of the Healers chirped happily. He stepped forward, closer to Hermione, who was now eyeing all of them off suspiciously, and put his hand on her shoulder, "We were about to call for you! Someone's been demanding your presence." He then turned back to look at his two colleagues, one of them was rolling their eyes while the other tried, unsuccessfully, to mask her giggling with a chuckle.

The hairs on Hermione's arms stood on end and she could hear her heartbeat in her ears. Her name played on her lips and she suddenly became incredibly nervous.

Draco.

Meeting the Healer's gaze, who was now staring at her curiously, she shoved her shaking hands into the pockets of her jacket. "Is he uhh...?" She couldn't finish her sentence. She had spent every waking moment of the last few days wishing for Draco to wake up. But now, all she could think about, was their last meeting. What would she even say to him?

"Yes, Minister. He woke up a little while ago. He's been calling for you ever since. You can head in whenever you're ready." With that, the Healer patted her on the shoulder one final time and walked past her, back down the corridor, with his two colleagues rushing behind to keep up.

Hermione took a deep breath to settle her nerves as she finished the walk towards the door; the events of the past few days running through her head and making her palms sweat. For a short moment she hesitated, her hand gripping the door handle tightly. She strained her ear for any sound on the other side of the door, only hearing the quiet whirring and beeping of the machines still attached to Draco.

She cursed under her breath for letting her nerves get to her and pushed the door open. Her heart immediately melting into a puddle and her worried face breaking into a wide smile.

"My love." Draco murmured at the sight of her standing in the doorway.