IV. Three Hundred Years

Thranduil sipped his wine as he went through the letters addressed to him. There were some letters expressing concerns over the recent sightings of spiders, and orc packs at the borders of the Woodland Realm. There was a letter from the king of Araytia who suggested Thranduil to send a representative or a scholar of some sort to exchange treaties with them again. There were also several letters sent from both Lothlorien and Imladris.

But the thing that has been burning at the back of his head the whole day was: Velossfaeniel was slain three hundred years ago. He smiled bitterly to himself.

It didn’t hurt as much now when he was thinking back to that particular day. Time was slowly healing his wounds, and numbed the pain in his heart. Though he wasn’t as light hearted as he was before, but he had found peace in his mind. His thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the entrance of his son and Tauriel standing behind him. They had been back from hunting the spiders that have been ravaging the forest.

“Adar, we are back.” Legolas said. “The spiders were driven back. But Feredir was slain, and we’ve now lost our captain of the guard.”

Thranduil sighed. Another one of his warriors gone.

“Looks like we need a new captain then. Tauriel, how about you take Feredir’s place? You are a skillful and experienced warrior. I trust you will have the strength to lead the elven guard.” Thranduil said, looking at her. Tauriel looked surprised, but she stepped forward and replied,

“Thank you my lord, I will serve you well.” Tauriel gave a sharp bow and stepped behind Legolas once again.

“Then it is settled. Tauriel, you may leave.” Thranduil dismissed the elleth and she left the study, leaving the king and the prince alone.

“Adar, tonight...should we go…” Legolas implied what he was going to say, and Thranduil understood. He stood up and nodded.

“Yes,” he replied, “We will go to your nana’s garden tonight, as we have done every single year.” He stood up from his seat and ventured next to Legolas. “Come, ion-nin.”

“But father, don’t you still have your duties to attend to? I see a ton of letters on your desk that you haven’t gone through yet.” Legolas eyed the mass of letters and documents on his desk.

“For tonight, my duties can wait. Come, ion-nin.”

Legolas took the two lanterns laid on the two sides of his desk and gave one to his father.

They went to Queen Velossfaeniel's memorial garden, with the marble tomb eternally resting in the middle. The father and the son stood there, side by side, in front of the tomb. They did not say anything, but the feeling was mutual. They both missed the Queen of Mirkwood.

“Three hundred years…” Legolas whispered. “Nana’s been gone for three thousand years.”

“Together we have carried this grief with us for three centuries, my son.” Thranduil replied. “Time has soothed our pain.”

“Yes, adar, it doesn’t hurt as much as it did before. But I want to see nana again.” His son gave him a sad smile.

“And we will. She is in Valinor, and we will meet her there when we sail there.” The king said firmly. “Dark times are upon us. May we hold the strength to get through these shadowed times, reunite as one family again over the sea.”

They laid their lanterns in front of the tomb and left the garden, hand in hand.

-End-