How Do I Deal With Anxiety / Panic Attacks?

It all happened in an instant; the crowd was so overwhelming that it made her start to hyperventilate. Gradually, her face became redder and her eyes filled with fright. I felt so vulnerable watching her go into another one of her panic attacks, and while she later got helped and recovered well, it left a big scar on my life. Though I've never personally dealt with anything like it, I know that, when not properly understood, anxiety attacks are very serious and should be handled with caution and attention. This is why Rasha and I think it's vital to discuss the hows of navigating panic disorders.

The first recommendation I would give is learning about panic. Knowledge is power, so when you learn about your condition, it's easier to understand what's happening to you and how to recognize your panic attack. To quote a helpful site I found about this particular subject; "accept that once your body's alarm system has been triggered, it will take a while before it settles down" and most importantly, remind yourself that panic attacks end.

Another piece of advice would be to practice relaxation techniques to alleviate the attack. Tricks like finding a focus object, using deep breathing, practicing muscles relaxation techniques and finding your happy place can really make a difference in the way you experience your attack. You can also focus on a person, or a color that calms you. The last trick is to imagine the positive, by imagining a time when you felt safe and confident, and the sounds, tastes, view, feelings of that moment.

(Note: something that is also really vital is not panicking about panicking!)

(Note 2 : An efficient breathing technique when you're having a panic attack is to inhale until you feel like you can not stock air anymore, block your breathing for 8 seconds, and exhale until you empty all the air. Repeat this until your heart rate decreases)

Remember, this is temporary, and it will pass. You've done it before , it means you can do it again . Not being afraid will take away the power from anxiety . You can also speak your thoughts out loud , or be on a call with someone , the power of your anxiety is stronger when it stays inside . You have more control over your thoughts and feelings than you imagine .

Hope our post helped you lovely creatures on navigating this particular condition. If you want more on this subject, a post about anxiety in our Girl's Guide book can help. Stay beautiful!!!

- emotional_firework and MaeShaanaP