How do I deal with peer pressure? ~ Jules

Peer pressure is always going to happen, whether you like it or not.  There are different types, both positive and negative.

Positive peer pressure: encourages you to do good things! Examples would be studying for tests or helping others.

Negative peer pressure: encourages you to do bad things!

Tips for handling peer pressure:
- Be aware of your body language! You can't say no while smiling or looking happy because it sends mixed signals.
- Recognize whether it is positive or negative! If it is positive, you might want to consider doing whatever your peer wants you to do!
- Come up with alternatives! If your friend wants to watch a scary movie but you don't like scary movies and don't want to tell them, recommend a comedy movie instead because you "aren't in the mood for scary".
- Think about if it's worth even being friends with the person.  If they constantly pressure you to do things you don't want to do, are they really a good friend?
- Come up with a list of excuses!  Nobody wants to be around someone who has been "violently throwing up all day" and that's an excuse I use frequently!  If worse comes to worse, blame your parents.  Tell your friends that if you don't study for a test coming up, your parents won't let you go out for two weeks.  I recommend only using this as a last minute excuse because it can be overused very quickly.
- Remember that it's ok to say no!

Hope this helps! Please feel free to comment any other tips to help out others reading this article :)

~Jules