Chapter 11-Test the nervs

When our lips meet it is like sparks come to life and butterflies in my stomach. Butterflies that I have not noticed. I open my eyes again and give Peter a smile. A smile I've never given anyone. Although it is dark I can see Peter smiling a few inches away from me.

"Come on sunshine, we have to get to the surface of the water before they think we have drowned" says Peter and takes my hand.

I take a deep breath before following Peter underwater. If you look down it is mostly black, but if you look at the sun that shines over the water surface it is like a completely different country.

I open my eyes properly, to see now that in the boat that ran into us sat no less than Nibs and Toots. Both sit in the boat and laugh, but when they look at our surprised faces, they slowly stop laughing. I watch Peter nod behind me against the beach. Yes, then it is just trying to swim and not to drown when going to the beach.

But to my surprise, things are going right, it feels like I'm flying in the water. But I can't do it. I look down into the water and see a face manifest itself. It's a pocket maybe a few years older than me, which has hair that looks like blond seagrass. And the biggest eyes I ever put. But her skin is so smooth and transparent that you can almost see through her. But she has no legs. I usually wasn't the one who really believes in fairy tales, but now that everything has happened, this must be true. She's a mermaid.

Suddenly she stops, she looks at me and smiles. She then lets go and my feet touch the seashell sand in the water.

"Thank you" I whisper as she disappeared into the sea again and wade into the beach where the others are already sitting or waiting.

When I reach the boys I sit down in the warm sand and then I try to relax a little. But there's so much going on in my head right now, so I never really know if I'll ever be able to relax.

I look a little oblivious to Peter and notice that he is looking at me. So we both turn heads.

"Did you have to drive in with your boat in our boat?"  asks Peter and addresses the question to Nibs and Toots sitting in front of us.

"We just wanted to have some fun and you would have put your faces in when you ended up in the water. You just, oh you would have to see it for yourself. You looked so funny. Right Toots" says a laughing Nibs and turns to face it laughing Toots.

"Yes, you really should have seen it. You looked like yawn ...." says Toots before giving him a cautionary look.

It causes him to quiet down immediately and then turns to Nibs and asks him to be quiet.

"It could have been fun if you had been able to swim, so you had to get out of there almost drowned" I mock.

The two boys look down into the ground. I exhale and try to control my heart rate. Breath in, breath out. It wasn't their fault, they didn't know, how could they know?

"It wasn't your fault. How could you know I can't swim? It doesn't matter. Okay?" I say not to make the boys feel hurt.

But they don't look up to me, they dare not.

 "Look, I'm actually alive" I say as I stand up and swing around in my wet clothes.

Now they look up. Maybe because I splash the water from my dress on them or because I look like a goof where I stand and spin in the sand. Toots and Nibs stand up and do as I do. We do such a good moment. But when the spirit starts to come out of me after all the laughter and how dizzy I get in my head after everything spinning. Then I lose my footing in the sand and roll.

I thought I would fall into the sand laughing, but instead I landed in Peter's arms. Suddenly the world does not spin, all of a sudden all the sounds except the laughter from Nibs and Toots disappear. All of a sudden I look into those dark brown eyes and they look into my blue eyes. Peter gives me a smile. Maybe because he is on his back with a girl over him and the girl is me.

I sit up when I notice that the laughter has quieted down a bit and moved on. Yes what is it? Giggle? Can the boys giggle? Or at least it sounds like it.

"Now I know how you could get air when you were underwater," says Nibs, who is peeking with laughter.

"Aaya will not be happy." says Toots and grins.

"But who cares. Nothing exciting has happened here in a while, it's time now," Toots continues, blinks  with one eye.

"Hope you survive," says Nibs.

When the two boys almost ran off to the Indian village to tell what was happening in the water. And how I could magically hold my breath there in the water, it's just me and Peter left on the beach. He stands up and reaches for me. I take it and come very close again. But I quickly pull away from him, though his hand still holds in mine.

"We should also go back" said

"You don't have to be nervous, I don't bite, "Peter says.

"Me? Nervous? Hardly. But we need to go back before they wonder where we are"

"Are you afraid of what Nibs and Toots will say?"

"No"

"Are you sure?" says Peter, taking a step closer to me.

I resist the desire to move on because somehow I am not nervous. But as he takes another step closer, my words get stuck in my mouth. Instead, I probably look like some goof that is gaping.

"Can you imagine, you can be quiet," Peter says with a small grin, leaning against my right ear.

"But you're just as cute anyway, you'll know," whispered Peter, turning his lips on my cheek.

I stand there stunned by what feels like an eternity. But I need time to think, need time to really understand what is happening. Although Peter has gone into the woods a bit away, I know he is waiting for me. But he gave me space to think.

"Boys," I say quietly to myself, almost like a swearing.

After all that has happened, only a day has passed. And I've already almost drowned and talked to Silva Arenam.

If all this has happened in one day, wonder what is hiding under the surface until tomorrow ...............