STORY OF THE CHUBBY 23

Start from the beginning

She looked really remorseful when I said that, ‘A mistake I’m willing to do anything to correct. It’s just that...when Alex was born...I wanted to just concentrate on giving her a good life once I realized she had Down’s. When you came-‘

‘You don’t have to tell me...I know I was a mistake. You didn’t want me,’ I said, shrugging to make it seem that it didn't matter when it actually did.

‘A mistake, yes, but a very beautiful one. I was happy when you came around even if you weren’t expected. I just didn’t know how to...I wanted to give Alex all the love she required so that she wouldn’t feel as if she didn’t fit in but I forgot you also needed love too. Forgive me, Cecelia...please just give me a chance to show you that.’

Here I was, sitting at the table in the kitchen with cold pancakes and tea between me and my mother, who had tear stained cheeks, crying, begging for forgiveness and wanting to be part of my life...This was what I had been dreaming of all my life, except for the cold breakfast, but this is all I’d wanted for the better part of my life. Now it was here...it all seemed surreal to me.

I mean, what if she changed her mind and decided I wasn’t worth it? What if she just wanted to replace Alex through me?

‘It won’t be easy,’ I repeated. ‘I’ll probably give you a hard time.’ I was giving her a chance to back down...to decide if she wanted this. ‘And I won’t and can’t be Alex, Mum.’

She flinched, ‘I guess I deserve that. I know...I know you aren’t Alex. You are both my daughters and you’re each separate identities. I know that,’ she said, standing up to come next to me. She pulled me up to stand next to her. ‘I know that, okay? I want to make this right, Cecelia.’

I looked into her eyes and saw that she was sincere. I don’t know about you, but I’d been wishing and praying for the day that my mum would finally notice me and want to actually have a relationship with me. Pathetic? Maybe. But I have needed this for so long...I’ve wanted my Mum for so long. Now that the chance is here I couldn’t let it go...It was the little lost girl in me crying out for her mother. To notice her. To congratulate her on her straight A’s. To teach her about boys and what was happening to her body as she grew up. To just be her mother.

‘Okay,’ I said with a small genuine smile forming on my face.

I haven’t seen Ash or Chris today. I’m trying to wonder if it was a good thing or a bad thing. Well the downside of this was that I dressed up for nothing. I did get some compliments from some guys and a few girls. Maybe I should be dressing like this more often.

It was lunch time and I didn’t feel like sitting in the cafeteria because Sammy and Chuck weren’t in today and I didn’t feel like sitting alone. They had gone out of town to visit Chuck’s grandparents since Saturday and were coming back tonight.

I walked around the hallways and entered an empty history class and sat down at the back, putting on my earphones to listen to Maroon 5. My phone beeped with a message before I started my music.

Where are you? Need to talk. –Chris

I wonder how he got my number since we never really exchanged numbers.

History class. Left side of the school.

I sent it after I had saved his number. He replied immediately.

Don’t move. I’ll be there in ten minutes:P

I laughed and started my music. I would tell him that it didn’t matter what I’d said yesterday because it really didn’t. He had a girlfriend and he seemed happy and I was okay with that. I was, I said trying to convince my subconscious who was not convinced at all.

‘Cecelia,’ I looked up, wondering how he’d gotten here so fast, when I saw who it was.

‘Ash. Hi,’ I said, yanking out my earphones. ‘How did, um, how did you find me?’

‘Was I supposed not to find you?’ he asked, settling in a seat beside me, pulling his closer to where I sat. Damn, Ash, what are you trying to do?

‘No, no,’ I said, shaking my head.

‘Well, I saw you walking in here so I followed you,’ he said, smiling, that cute boyish smile that made my heart flutter. He said he liked me...that he found me interesting.

‘Oh,’ was all I said, not really knowing what to say. ‘Where were you, anyway?’ I asked after a beat.

‘Well... I kinda over slept in the morning so I decided to skip the morning lessons anyway. You miss me?’ he asked with a smirk.

I laughed nervously, ‘What..? Um...’I didn’t know what to say. Come on, Cecelia. Get a grip! You can’t possibly be speechless because of Ash!

‘It’s okay to miss me,’ he said, brushing some hair from my face. ‘I missed you too. And you look really good today.’

I looked up to face him and realized how close he was...how close our faces were to each other.

‘Have you ever been kissed, Cecelia?’ He whispered, his eyes flickering down to my lips.

I shook my head, feeling as if I was in some sort of trance. Warning bells sounded in the back of my mind but I couldn’t seem to make sense of them. His face was too close, moving closer, his green eyes hypnotising.

Did I want him to kiss me? Did I want to kiss Ash Samuels? Did I like him? The last question rang in my head loudly and I paused for a minute. His face was moving closer, his hand warm on my cheek, his breath blowing on my face...Did I want this?

Before I even had a chance to decide, I heard someone call my name, his voice filled with shock and horror.

I jumped, moving away from Ash to see Chris standing there, his hands clenched beside him, his eyes filled with a bit of anger, shock and...Hurt?

‘What’s happening here?’ He said, his eyes now blazing with anger towards Ash who was looking back at Chris with the same intensity.

I wanted to disappear then and there.

A/N:

Jambo, people!

Haha...here you go! Update! Tell me what you think and comment and vote and share!!! Come on people:)

Plus, tbh when I started this story, in my head there was no Ash. But he just happened...you know? haha... Team Ashelia or Chricelia?

ALSO...!!! You guys didn't remind me there was a Raul in this story! I completely forgot about him...*feels ashamed* maybe he went for some football camp, ya? I'll weave him in the next chapter.

Thanks for all the reads, guys. They make me so happy!!!! I remember when I started this story, 32 reads with people like Bitter_Sw33t and SmartaraLove being one of my first readers...thank you for all of you who vote and comment. You make me a very happy girl.Thanks for all who share (like bae) ...Thanks for all the support!

I love you all!