seven

SEVEN.

"so that's min yoongi, huh?"

they're back home and jimin is settling in. sohee had been in the guest room with them, getting to know jimin, but left to go shower. so jungkook sits on the bed with his legs crosses and watches jimin arrange his clothes into the closet and out of their expensive trunks.

"don't start with me." jungkook groans and shoves his face into his hands.

leaving the skate and surf shop taehyung works at was weird. it was weird because hoseok had offered to give sohee a ride home when jimin suggested jungkook hop on the back of his motorcycle, because come on, koo, this isn't the first time your legs have been around me.

jungkook had blushed flames and was utterly and unmistakably mortified. the group had reacted in their own ways: namjoon choked on an extra slice of pizza while taehyung whistled, and seokjin started spewing out a series of questions a minute. sohee had grabbed hoseok's wrist and pulled him over to his cherry red convertible as soon as the comment left jimin's mouth, but it was clear the both of them were trying not to laugh as they walked away.

and jungkook shouldn't have looked, but the masochist in him couldn't resist—yoongi had been looking at him with slightly parted lips and wide eyes, but when they made eye contact, he looked everywhere but at jungkook and jimin. of course, in the background of the chaos he created, jimin's tinkling siren-like laugh went off like wind chimes.

"i'm not starting anything!" jimin pouts, pulling up a black shirt and sliding it onto a hanger. "i was only making an observation. the scientist in me can't help it."

"you're not a scientist." jungkook grumbles, peaking out between the fingers he spread into slits to watch a blurry jimin organize. "i kind of am, my degree is in science, therefore, i am a scientist." jimin concedes, lifts his nose in the air haughtily, and walks an armful of clothes to the closet.

jungkook drops his hands to his lap, letting all the weight smack down on the muscle. he watched jimin's back but otherwise said nothing. he feels antsy and distracted and takes to gnawing on his bottom lip absentmindedly amidst the tumultuous waves rolling about in his head. it wasn't like he didn't know yoongi had a girlfriend, but he thought he'd be given a little time for the information to sink in before meeting here.

he wishes it didn't bother him so much. yoongi looks happy, his girlfriend seems friendly, and jungkook just has a silly childhood crush. it sprang up the summer's he actually got to see yoongi and would settle when he'd eventually fly back to korea. the feeling was always pushed to the back burner; an out of sight, out  of mind type of situation. but he hadn't seen yoongi in years and those feelings festered and stewed all unbeknownst to him. now, being face to face with the man, who is tangible and so out of reach all at the same time, jungkook feels like he's splitting at the seams.

"jungkookie," jimin is standing at the foot of the bed. when did he get there? how long had jungkook zoned out for? "jungkookie, he has a girlfriend."

"i know." jungkook detests how bitterly it comes out.

jimin crawls onto the bed, knees falling onto the cushion before his palms did. he settles, kneels in front of jungkook and practically sits on top of him. jungkook sighs into jimin's familiar touch, the older boy cradling jungkook's head to his chest. "for what it's worth," jimin says quietly, his voice reverberating in his chest, "you're prettier than her."

❦ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ❦

it's rush hour.