0

INTRODUCTION.

"yes, jimin, i'm good," jungkook sighs for what felt the the nth time since his train arrived at the station. he pulls his luggage closer towards him, gathering most of what he can handle in one hand while his other is occupied holding his phone up to his ear. "if i wasn't, we wouldn't be having this conversation."

"i'm just concerned!" jimin's tinny voice comes from the other end of the line, sounding exasperated at jungkook having the sheer audacity of asking such a question.

"what is with you and your weird fear of trains derailing?" the station was bustling with people, all milling to and fro while jungkook stood stagnant waiting for his cab. jimin was saying something on the other end, defending himself in words all too fast for jungkook to catch clearly. "jimin, seriously." jungkook laughs when he tunes back into the conversation to catch the last bits of jimin saying: "trains were designed for destruction, koo!"

"that's rich coming from you," jungkook snorts, "listen, my cab will be here soon so i'll talk to you later." he says when his phone beeps with the notification. jimin gripes a complaint on his end, but otherwise complies with their ending conversation. "ok, fine. see you soon though, behave yourself." jimin grumbles, muttering a quick "love you!" before hanging up soon after jungkook chirped it back.

jungkook plopped himself down onto an empty bench and stretched out his legs in front of him. it hadn't taken him all that long to get to the train station from the airport. a shuttle bus as picked him up after he landed, but it felt like he hadn't used his legs for an entire day. though he was still in a bustling station, it was nice to not be in such close, stuffy quarters. kind of. well, he was asleep for a third of the ride, so he couldn't complain all that much.

even under the overhang the bright sunlight could be felt beaming down on him. excitement, something teetering just beyond exuberance, bubbled under his skin. he'd gone from the big city of seoul to another big city, but soon he'll be in a cab on the way to his cousin's house—a comfy dwelling sat in a comfy suburban neighborhood filled with most of his precious memories.

it was going to be an amazing summer. he wouldn't settle for anything less.

❦ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ❦

the trunk to the cab slams shut once the last of jeongguk's belongings make it out and touch the road.

"thanks," jungkook calls to the driver one last time before they sped off. "jungkookie!" a shrill screech comes from behind him, nearly startling him enough to knock over his luggage. bounding down the steps of the porch is his cousin, practically all legs from what he can see. "i told you to text me when you were close," says sohee as she wraps her arms around what she can of her younger cousin.

"you're huge now! no fair," she pushes his shoulder back with a pout, "last time i saw you were the same size as my shoestring." she jokes and takes it upon herself to grab his duffle bag. "watch it, i've gotten better at wrestling; you don't want to test me." jungkook taunts while grabbing the handle of his suitcase, he passes her with an equally as teasing smile and starts up the driveway.

"we're gonna have so much fun this summer!" sohee skips her way up to jungkook after slinging the bag around her shoulder. when she wraps her hands around jeongguk's bicep, she looks up at him with a smile practically resembling his own. jungkook laughs at her excitement mostly out of how it mirrors the way he felt, himself.

sohee's family home was a dusty blue colored two-story with a large driveway and double garage in the front. her porch was to the side of the house where the front door was, pots of tall green plants decorating the outside of it; it was just like jungkook remembered from childhood.

the nostalgia settled in him like a lukewarm cup of tea at how even though things looked the way the always had, they were inevitably and intrinsically different.

he rolls his luggage onto the panelized porch, smiling softly at the white lawn chairs pushed under the window, reaching just up to the ledge. "remember when you and my brother would sit here while i tried to catch butterflies?" he looks back to sohee who had fallen behind him after letting loose of his arm. "yeah," she breathes out a laugh, "i specifically remember you catching one and then shoving it in my face." she narrows her eyes at him.

jungkook remembers the way she squealed out a girlish scream, kicking her legs out to get him away and falling over the arm of the chair in the process. "there's a reason i'm scared of butterflies, jungkook." she throws a playful glare in his direction. "here, hold this, the door's kind of stuck." she hands him back his bag and jangles the knob.

he's still looking around the porch; up at the wind chimes, the bird feeder, over the railing, and to the house beside them. "hey," he says in thought, staring off into the window of the other house, "is min yoongi still your neighbor?"

the door opened with a push and she made a noise of triumph. "yeah." sohee answers distractedly, filing in before gesturing for jungkook to make his way in after. "oh." and their conversation about that ends there and the door closes behind him.

______________
hey yall!! guess who got bored af and decided to do this stupid thing! hehehe hahaha im having a breakdown

im not gonna put so much thought into this fic. or at least i dont intend to. it won't be like he or earth boys! so! probably won't have many long chapters

also the tracklist is important for the story like it actually correlates so listen to it when you get a chance! thanks booboos! mwah