Chapter Thirty-Nine | Is Spit A Distraction?

Start from the beginning

"You trust him, don't you?" She asked, giving me a pointed look. I had a good idea that Barron did a fair amount of snooping around Vindicta's cells to see who I had seemingly strong ties with. "Plus, he's a rogue wolf. He has experience with the sneaking around kind of shit. Not really the biggest loss if he couldn't pull through, either, if you know what I mean." Yeah, I did know what she meant. I never knew what Hayden did to get locked up in Vindicta, but it had to be something bad enough to stick him down there with Dallas and me. I would use rogue wolves to my advantage too if I had to play it safe. Especially if one of them had a reason to stay loyal. However, it made my blood boil a bit that Barron only saw Hayden as some sort of replaceable piece of messaging equipment--that if he died, no one would bat an eye.

"So, why didn't you admit it? That you weren't here to actually kill me?" I asked, beginning my interrogation of all the things that didn't make a single ounce of sense to me. She sighed tiredly and rolled her head back, tapping the wall behind her.

"It wasn't in the orders. I came over here knowing what I was getting myself into, and I was strictly told not to let anything slip until instructed."

"So," I began, trying to piece together the nonsense she was spewing, "you willingly came over here knowing that you could die, and then possibly spend forever in a cell if you were lucky enough to make it out alive?" She seemed contemplative for a moment before she nodded. "You only survived because of the coincidence that my Beta is your mate. Any sane person would have known that your ass would have been dead in any other scenario."

"I was on your territory before. I knew he was my mate, and I knew he would be there to stop anything before it would go too far," she admitted. I pursed my lips as I took in the new information. This bitch was on our land before, undetected?

"So, you knew Jack would stop Matteo from killing you, but what the hell was the big plan from there? Did Barron really think Jack was just going to betray his Alpha and release you? Clearly, he's not dumb enough to believe Matteo would just have the heart to outright roam around our grounds freely after your stunt." Sighing, Taylor ran a tired hand over her face. The dirt that had been collecting over the past few weeks on her fingers left trails on her cheeks.

"Jack was supposed to help me gain trust," she began. Her line of sight connected with mine and, surprisingly, made me feel less uneasy. "Through him, I was supposed to earn your favor and Matteo's. Alpha Mendax noted how Matteo would occasionally bend to your wishes. We hoped that you would request my freedom, and I would be able to help you fight Vindicta from the inside without having to admit any ties with Uirium. That way, there would be no suspicions or rumors. The less people to know the better. I would receive word from Barron that would help you without creating any loose ends," Taylor finished. I couldn't stop the frown from replacing my generally plain expression. It was a pretty good plan, but we kind of f—ked it up.

It made me want to laugh at loud at the idea that Barron had been on our side this entire time. The one person that Matteo couldn't stand the absolute most was putting himself in an extremely compromising situation to help us—help me. A weird little giddy feeling swelled in my chest as I thought about it. There was a part of me that never could fully grasp why Barron would turn his back on me, and I was happy that it wasn't just me being stupid.

"I just don't get why," I thought out loud. "Why would he go through all of this just to help me? He doesn't even know me."

"To be honest with you, Alpha, I have no idea. My guess is that Farrah has something to do with it." Farrah—Barron's mate. I never had a conversation of any sort with her. Maybe a few awkward, judgmental glances, but that was about it. If I was her, I would wish my ass luck and not bother getting involved in this whole mess. Perhaps, she was just a better person that me.