Seven

Tom stands outside the car, unlit cigarette in between his lips. Billy glances up at him from the curb, sitting next to Miley's black pumps. It had been a month since Bill's epilepsy diagnosis and Miley moving into their modern home. Bill had heard the couple "messing around" occasionally and the teen found it comforting that his brother had found someone to cry to when the emotions got overwhelming.

He couldn't tell if he would prefer going with his grandparents, maybe then Tom could have the life he always deserved. One that didn't involve caring for his little brother. Bill jumped when Miley sat down beside him and combed her fingers through his fluffy black hair.

"How ya doin?"

"You don't have to be nice to me because you're fucking my brother, you know? It's cool if you think this arrangement is a problem."

"Now, what would make you think that? I think you're great. I know this whole situation was not expected but, I like you and your brother."

"Do you really? Because Tom's all I got," Bill whimpered. "I know it would be easier for him if he could start his own life and in an hour...he could have that," Bill shrugged his shoulders.

"I have known your brother for two months now," Miley said. "And he dedicates his life to loving you. Tom chose his profession because he knew you loved pretty buildings."

Bill looked over at his older brother, talking to an attorney in German on the phone. It appears that someone gave the wrong address to their grandfather and they had been waiting for Tom and Bill there for the last 20 minutes. Miley didn't understand a word of what Tom said but Bill could tell that Tom wasn't impressed.

"It was all supposed to be different. But I wasn't happy when I left Germany. And I didn't realize that until I took advantage of how old I appeared and killed my parents."

"You didn't run them off the road. That psycho did that. I read about that," Miley frowned. "I had been helping a non profit organization and they ran a small paper in Fairfield. When Tom told me that was you, I broke down, ya know?"

Bill looked up at Miley for the first time since they started their conversation. Her blue eyes were glistening with tears, her bottom lip trembling. You can't fake that and Bill knew she wouldn't do that to garner sympathy.

"I lost my dad too. And I lost my mom a few years ago. When I saw that article, I wanted to help out. They thought you were orphaned so I was looking into adopting you. I was so happy to know that you had someone like Tom. I cried in his arms, I could help you and get that wish.

None of this, is fake. I have wanted to be there for you since I read that story."

It was strange, Tom noticed how easily Bill opened up to Miley. In the last month, despite the many setbacks, Bill had to admit he was showing more positivity around the Tennessee blonde. He didn't want to jeopardize the relationship Tom had. It was good for business and him as well.

Miley quickly grabbed Bill's shoulders, stopping his body from slamming to the pavement behind him. She called to Tom, who quickly ended the call and stepped back over to his brother and partner. His eyes flickered upward, arms and legs straightened and he stiffened up on the ground.

"Just hold his head. We can get the blanket in the car if it goes tonic-clonic," Tom frowned, attempting to massage his brother's tense arms.

"We're right here, Billy. I don't know if you can hear us. Don't worry. It's only a tonic seizure. Just give it a minute and you'll be back with us again," Miley coached.

"It's getting worse. He's going to have a big one, I'll get the blanket and call them to reschedule. He can't do this today," Tom is on his feet and pulling the blanket out of the car before Miley could even pull out her phone to call their attorney.