Only Getting Worse

When Byleth awoke the next day, the pain hadn't disappeared.

In fact, it hurt even more. Byleth grunted, clutching at her chest from where she was buried in her covers. What the hell is wrong with me?

We really should be letting someone know, Sothis warned though a long yawn, her point somewhat dulled by their apparent sleepiness. Plus, Byleth really hated going to get help. She could pretend that this pain was going away; how bad could it be? You're being stupid! Suck it up and ask someone!

No. Byleth rolled out of bed, running a hand through her tangled hair. Her teal tresses were knotted and distinctly tangled, not to mention how individual locks stuck up in certain places. Byleth looked in the mirror, immediately grabbing a brush to try and calm her disheveled hair.

Eventually, with a lot of brushing and patience, Byleth managed to get her hair straight and presentable. She threw the brush on the bed, thankful. Byleth began to get dressed when she heard a knock on the door.

"One moment," Byleth called out, hurriedly slipping on her usual outfit. It was times like these where she hated tights...she slid on her shorts, hurriedly fastening her boots. She pulled her shirt over her head, and, figuring that her father was probably on the other side, decided she didn't need to bother with putting on her coat. Byleth rushed to the door, opening it quickly.

Oh.

Standing there was the Golden Deer house leader, decked in his usual uniform and golden cape. However, there was no smile on Claude's face; not even an insincere one. Instead, there lay a troubled and concerned expression as he scanned her. Byleth was taken aback by his behavior.

"Claude?"

"Hey, Teach," Claude said softly, scratching the back of his neck as he glanced away from Byleth. His cheeks were slightly reddened, not that she understood why. "Um...How are you feeling? I was told you didn't want visitors, but...I couldn't help it. I needed to check on you."

"Oh," Was all that Byleth could utter. For some reason, she just lost the capability of speech, and she could only gape. She didn't realize it, but the ache in her chest had disappeared altogether. "I'm...I'm fine. I think."

"You took a pretty big spill when you fell out of my arms," Claude noted, pressing his lips together. "Do I smell bad, or something? You could have just told me, I wouldn't have held you. I was just trying to help-"

"No! No, you don't smell bad," Byleth was quick to interject. Her brow furrowed; she didn't even know what he smelled like, but now she was kind of curious. "...I'm okay now. It just so happened that you picked me up at a bad time."

"Maybe you should stay away from him," Jeralt nodded. "For your own safety."

Byleth didn't exactly like that thought. Since when do you disobey your own father? Sothis chuckled, amused. Wow. We really should stay away from him. Go! Tell him off!

"Yeah, well.." Claude shifted his weight from side to side. "It doesn't change the fact that I still feel bad."

...I can't tell him off.

What? Why!? What's wrong with you!?

An awkward silence passed between the two as Byleth argued with Sothis. Claude had a slightly puzzled look on his face as Byleth looked incredibly troubled.

"Teach...? Are you alright?"

"...Why...Why are you pretending to care about how I'm doing?" Byleth questioned, no hostility in her tone. She was instead just curious. She could feel Sothis's disappointment, and the voice inside her head began to screech at her. "I know you just want to use me because of my power. I get that you're trying to get on my good side...but why even bother?"

Claude just stared at her, a surprised look on his face. He looked like a deer in the headlights; caught in the act. He gulped, and Byleth watched as his Adam's apple bobbed.

"I...um..."

"I didn't choose your house. It's too late to win me over," Byleth shrugged. "So why pretend you care about me? Why pretend you care about my emotions? Why...Why are you still here?"

Who cares!? Sothis sighed loudly. Why do we care about why he's insincere? You have a perfectly good house leader, Edelgard, who is honest with you!

Maybe, but...

"...I...I don't know," Claude replied guiltily, lowering his eyes to the ground. He nervously began to twirl an arrow in his hand; when had he grabbed that? Claude was much sneakier than Byleth ever could be. "I know I can't get you to join me. It's...It's just.."

"It's okay, Claude," Byleth cut him off, shaking her head slightly from side to side. Her heart began to ache again as she gently stopped him from trying to make a poor excuse. "You don't have to answer. If was a bad question for me to ask, anyway. We can just go back to pretending that you care."

"Teach..."

"Don't worry about it."

Even though she said this, her heart began to ache once again. A tiny part inside of her was starting to wonder;

Was her chest really hurting because of him?