Unknown Condition

"...She just fell...no, we don't know from what...it was all of a sudden."

Byleth could just barely hear Edelgard's voice from where she was laying. Knowing that the house leader was there comforted her. She could tell that she was under the covers of some bed, and Byleth slowly opened her eyes.

Edelgard was there, calmly explaining the situation. Next to her was the Archbishop Rhea, and her father Jeralt. Claude was nowhere in sight. Byleth wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not, but the ache had disappeared almost completely. No one had noticed she was awake yet; her father was too busy with his head in his hands. Byleth wished she could feel bad for him, but her mind remained numb.

"Pain in her chest...?" Rhea mused softly, her minty green eyes wide in thought. "Hm...how strange."

"Yeah, strange indeed," Jeralt muttered, and Byleth winced. He knew about her lack of heartbeat and emotions; she knew he would be probing her for questions later. He looked up at Byleth, his eyes lighting up upon seeing Byleth awake. "Kid, you're alive..."

"Yeah," Byleth confirmed sleepily, rubbing her eyes. "I'm here."

"How are you feeling?" Rhea questioned serenely, ignoring how both Edelgard and Jeralt both wanted to say something. Jeralt walked over, sitting on the bed. He placed a hand against his forehead, not that it did much to tell him anything about her condition. Byleth shrugged.

"Fine."

Jeralt's eyes were concerned, flashing with warning. Save questions for when we're alone.

"Do you have any idea why you have suffered chest pain?" Rhea asked, a pensive expression on her features. Byleth shook her head from side to side. All she remembered was being picked up by Claude, and then feeling an explosion in her chest. "This is most troubling..."

"Could I just have some rest right now?" Byleth requested, and Rhea nodded.

"Of course, my child. Sleep," Rhea nodded, and exited the room. Jeralt eyed Edelgard.

"You heard her. Scram."

"No," Byleth held out her hand before Edelgard could argue. "I trust her. I want her to stay and hear this."

"Thank you," Edelgard smiled, kneeling down beside the bed. "My teacher."

A small spark in her chest ignited once again. Byleth frowned.

"There was another one right there," Byleth noted. "It wasn't bad. That was probably one of the least painful so far.."

"...Rhea knows something," Jeralt clenched his fists, and Byleth cocked her head in confusion.

"What?"

"...nothing," Jeralt shook his head. "But remain vigilant around her. Always."

"Agreed. She was acting suspicious, as if she knew something," Edelgard responded, narrowing her eyes in concentration. She suddenly looked as if she had an idea. "Is might sound crazy...but it was when Claude carried her that she experienced pain. Perhaps it had something to do with him."

"Maybe you should stay away from him," Jeralt nodded. "For your own safety."

"But it's not just when he's around," Byleth argued, noting how the dull pain grew slightly. She kept it to herself. For some reason, she found herself defending the boy who was using her. Why? She had no idea. Sothis remained quiet, unsure. "Claude isn't here right now, and I felt a spark."

"Do you think it has something to do with...your heart?" Jeralt said ambiguously, and Byleth hesitated. Maybe?

"It might be," Byleth shrugged. "I'm really not sure.."

Not This TimeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara