Western Church

Byleth and her Black Eagles had been chosen to take down the Western Church's rebellion.

They were led by someone named Lord Lonato, and Rhea had ordered their execution. Byleth couldn't help but nod in agreement. After all, opposition had to be destroyed. Right?

Well, yes, but..Rhea seemed so merciless. Wasn't the Western Church part of the main Church, anyway? Why did they have to be murdered so ruthlessly?

Not to mention the knight, Catherine. She seemed to be nice, but Byleth could sense the devotion she had to Rhea. That in itself was enough to make Byleth suspicious...

Byleth was half tempted to join her father in his own addiction and chug some alcohol to rid herself of those thoughts. But one, she wasn't supposed to as a teacher, and two, the only alcohol she had was the awful snake wine. Disgust rolled through her again, and Byleth shuddered in relief.

It was so refreshing to feel something.

If she was this giddy about feeling disgusted, Byleth wondered how'd she feel when she finally experienced happiness. It better not be disappointing, or else Byleth was going to scream.

No. How could happiness be disappointing? It was all she was looking forward to in her life. To finally be able to talk and laugh with her father. To see the worried look slip off of his face...

That was really what Byleth wanted. Yes, she wanted feelings for her own personal reasons, but she also wanted to see Jeralt relieved and not looking so concerned for her. She knew he always feared about her lack of emotion...

So why wasn't it her father that triggered her emotions? Why was it Claude, an insincere boy? Claude, someone she hardly knew? She hadn't even chosen his house, and she didn't really have any regrets about that considering the Golden Deer consisted of rowdy individuals, but he awoke her feelings? Not even Edelgard, her refined house leader? Why?

Well, Edelgard had tried, Byleth thought. She had. She often asked Byleth how she was doing, and how she was feeling. The problem was that Byleth wasn't feeling anything, and Edelgard hadn't tried to fix that. Byleth still appreciated Edelgard's company, though. No one tried to fix Byleth, so it wasn't a surprise.

It was really only Claude, actually. He'd been the one to pester her. It had been what, two or three months since she'd arrived at the monastery and she had already felt two emotions because of him? How in the world was that possible?

"Hey, Teach."

Speak of the devil. Byleth lifted her head, watching as Claude walked into the Black Eagles classroom. Now, she didn't detest his presence anymore. It felt as normal as Edelgard coming in.

Byleth wondered if he could switch houses...

He can't switch houses, you dolt! He's a house leader!

"Hello, Claude," Byleth greeted, raising her hand in a wave. He smiled charmingly, and Byleth wondered if his smile had grown less insincere. She dismissed it as a figment of her imagination.

"I heard you got assigned to take down the Western Church's rebellion," Claude sat on one of the desks carelessly. "Seems...interesting."

"...Why does Rhea want to abolish the Western Church?" Byleth frowned, tapping her chin in confusion. "Aren't we all worshipping the same entity? What's wrong with the Western Church?"

"Personally, nothing's wrong with them," Claude said in a hushed tone, removing an arrow from his quiver and beginning to twirl it absentmindedly. "But they're rebelling. Rhea doesn't really tend to seek out a peaceful outcome. It's her way...or no way."

"...I don't understand the Archbishop. Why is she going to kill all of these people without even asking for a reason why?"

"Rhea doesn't care why," Claude clarified, grimacing. "All that matters is that there's someone against her, and that is that. ...We should wrap this conversation up, Teach. We don't know who's going to walk in and hear us."

"Wait," Byleth shook her head in momentary confusion. She eyed him in surprise. "You don't worship the church-?"

"No. Shh," Claude held a finger to his lips to try and signal silence, and his other hand stopped twirling the arrow. He stuffed it back into his quiver, walking toward her cautiously. He leaned over the desk, whispering into her ear. "We can continue this elsewhere. Okay? Another time, in a more private place. I'll trust you to meet me by the greenhouse at midnight, alright?"

"Okay," Byleth agreed quietly, and Claude let out a satisfied noise of agreement. It was good that they scheduled it then, because a moment later, someone cleared their throat from behind Claude.

Claude leaned back and out of the way, turning around to face the sound of the voice. It was none other than Edelgard, accompanied by her servant Hubert.

"May I ask what you're doing in my classroom?" Edelgard addressed Claude, her brow raised in suspicion. Claude laughed, his fully guarded smile appearing effortlessly.

"Just talking to Teach," Claude shrugged, placing his hands behind his head nonchalantly. Byleth watched him switch back to his insincere persona in the blink of an eye. "I figured I could get some tips from the ex-mercenary."

"That's nice," Edelgard smiled, and then narrowed her eyes in annoyance. "Now, if you don't mind, I would like to speak to my professor."

"No worries," Claude backed out casually. He winked at Byleth, mouthing the word midnight as he left.

Once he was gone, Edelgard sighed in relief.

"So, Professor. We'll be heading to take out the Western Church-"

"What do you think about that?" Byleth questioned before Edelgard could say anything else. Edelgard's eyes widened, but she answered nevertheless.

"I believe Rhea is right to shut down a rebellion before it builds too much momentum," Edelgard responded. "But Lord Lonato is probably a man who has been slighted by the Archbishop. Rhea refuses to tell us anything because she's trying to hide something."

Wow. Both Edelgard and Claude didn't trust Rhea. Was there anyone who did? Byleth had never even heard of the Church of Seiros before. Then again, people had to trust Rhea in order for this religion to come to fruition. But why?

"We don't really have a choice, do we?" Byleth frowned. Edelgard shook her head from side to side.

"No. Such a shame, too," Edelgard sighed. "...Professor, I was wondering if you'd like to come spar with me right now. I could use some more training with my sword."

"I'm free right now," Byleth nodded emotionlessly, not noticing the disappointed look on Edelgard's face. "Ready?"

"Yes. Let's go, Professor."