Fourteen - Anger

Briar could hear Peter screaming.

She could hear the shots.

She could hear it all.

There was no way she would sit around and do nothing while her friend, and sure, maybe she wanted him to be more than that, was in pain and/or being brutally murdered.

Milo floated down in front of her as she stood up. "No."

"I'm going, Milo. You can't stop me." she snapped.

"Really? Can't I?" he taunted. "I-"

"Milo, listen. Peter's hurt. He could die."

"So could you!"

"This city needs Spider-Man!"

"And what about you?" Milo scoffed, folding his arms.

"What about me?" Briar mimicked his stance.

"What do you need?"

She opened her mouth but no words came out. Then she swallowed harshly. "I need Peter."

"You're in love."

"I'm not in love! Get out of my way!"

"You are so in love with Peter!"

"This is not the time, Milo. I will walk right through you."

"Yeah, yeah. Fine." he moved aside. "That was kind of mean, but go on. Go save your man."

"He's not 'my man'." Briar huffed as she stepped out of the room.

"Maybe not yet, but you better kiss him properly after all of this!"

Briar ignored him and ran down the hallway.

She reached a door that had been broken down and ran in.

The first thing she was was a broken picture frame on the floor, then she saw Peter surrounded by a strange pale blue light, just like the one that surrounded Milo.

"No..." she whispered.

"It's not too late, child." a voice whispered in her ear. "You can still save him. But you need to act fast."

Steeling her nerves, Briar nodded.

She stepped out into the living room. "Hey!" she shouted. "Let him go!"

An older man, maybe around fifty or sixty, turned to her and laughed. "Are you his little girlfriend?" he mocked. "How cute."

Briar's cheek flared red and she felt dizzy. "I said, let him go."

"What are you going to do, sweetheart? He's almost dead anyway."

Her eyes flickered to Peter, whose Spider-Man suit was peeling away from his skin. The mask was almost gone, revealing his face, screwed up in pain and veined with glowing white lines.

"If you are to act," the quiet voice whispered. "Act now."

"I don't know what to do," Briar whispered back, a feeling of dread and hopelessness washing over her.

"Get very, very, angry."

Briar glared at the man.

She thought of everything that had happened the night before, the pain, the ghostly hands touching her all over as she screamed, the sound of Peter's agonised screams. She could see her father through an open doorway, sitting up with cuts and burns all over his body. She called all the anger she felt towards Milo, for leaving her, Stephanie, for kicking her out, that drunk driver that killed her brother.

And then...

                        she
                             let
                                  it
                                    all
                                        out.

~~~

A/N

Yeah so...

yeah.

Um.

Yeah.

Don't really know what to say about this chapter, only that I'm gonna leave you all on a bit of a cliffhanger for a little while just to annoy anyone who's actually reading and actually cares.

You're welcome.

So I'm writing an essay next week for english and i'm gonna die.

- amy