Two - The Accident

~~~

A/N

Note: The first bit of this chapter depicts death and the aftermath of a fatal car crash. Do not read if you have any problems with that.

~~~

When Briar opened her eyes, she thought she was in her bed.

It was warm, almost too warm, but what gave it away was the shooting pain in her head and left side.

She lifted her head and looked around.

Red.

Black.

Silver.

Red.

Blue.

Milo.

Her brother was slumped against Briar's shoulder.

Her arm was stinging and aching, but her heart hurt worse.

He wasn't moving.

His clear blue eyes weren't blinking open as hers had.

His head wasn't lifting slowly off her arm.

He wasn't breathing.

"Milo..." Briar tried to speak, but her voice was scratchy. She swallowed the growing lump in her throat and raised her free hand to touch his face. "Milo, wake up."

He didn't move.

He didn't... He couldn't...

No.

"Milo, come on, this is serious. Wake up." she had turned her body. She was in pain, but she felt nothing but a small sting. "Milo, please. Milo!"

The lump in her throat grew and grew until she let out an unearthly sob, her blurry vision clearing as tears spilt down her grimy and bloody cheeks. "Milo, please..."

She pressed two fingers against his neck where his pulse was... Where is pulse should have been... Where his pulse wasn't.

Briar screamed and pushed his broken and lifeless body away from her.

His glasses, the lenses shattered and blood-stained, fell to the floor.

Tears fell down her face. She couldn't stop them. Why should she? He was gone. Her brother, her best friend.

Two strong arms clad in red and blue wrapped around her but she forced them away and reached for Milo again.

"No! No, let me go!" she screamed. "Milo!"

Against her will, she was dragged from the wrecked car.

A man set her carefully on her feet, but her knees buckled.

He caught her. He was saying something, but Briar couldn't hear him. She just stared fearfully, blankly, at Milo, her brother, her best friend, as she was sat in an ambulance.

"No, I don't wanna go..." she mumbled, tasting salt on her lips.

She wasn't sure how much time had passed, she just knew that she wasn't leaving.

A blanket was around her shoulders. She was still cold.

"Let me through!" she heard through the rushing inside her own head. "Those are my kids!"

Her father, Cameron Drake, pushed through crowds of people to get to the wreckage.

"No..." she heard him murmur. "Milo..." he straightened up. "Where's my daughter? Where's Briar?"