Eight - Shopping

She actually won something.

Ned and Margot had entered her in a small competition for candid photos. She entered the last photo she took of Milo, in that crowded hallway. To her surprise, she won.

Margot came bearing the good news, wheeling up to her in the hallway, the one where the photo was taken, in fact, shouting, "You won! You got the prize!"

Briar had shushed her before asking, "Seriously?"

"Yeah!" Margot had replied. "$300!"

Briar beamed as she pushed her down the hall. "Awesome."

"We're so going shopping to celebrate!"

And that was how she ended up in the mall.

Margot had dragged her into nearly every store and looked at nearly everything in there, already buying a Star Wars shirt and a nice skirt.

Briar, however, hadn't bought anything, and they were running out of time before things would start to close.

"Come on, Bri. You need to get something." Margot implored as they left one store and entered another.

"I haven't seen anything I like," she replied honestly, shrugging. "You can have my half if you want."

"Nope. You're gonna get something." her friend snapped. "Now, go! Look around."

Briar sighed but left her.

It seemed the world was against her, as she found two things she liked within ten minutes.

"Damn." she sighed. "Margot was right."

"Right about what?"

She jumped as someone came up behind her. When she turned around, she saw it was Milo.

"Jeez," she hissed. "You can't sneak up on me like that in a public place!"

"Well, my feet don't exactly make sounds when I walk, like people usually do." he scoffed.

Briar sighed and turned back to the rack of clothes. "Yeah, whatever. Should I get these?"

He leaned over her shoulder and looked at the black denim jacket and pale pink dress. "Hell yeah. Try them on! Go, go, go!"

She shook her head and made her way to the fitting rooms.

Milo stuck his head in once she had the dress on and asked, his eyes closed, "You decent?"

"Yeah." she murmured.

He opened his eyes and stepped in through the door. He scrutinised her dress. Then he smiled. "It's nice. Peter won't be able to keep his eyes off you."

"Peter?" she whispered. "What about him?"

"Oh, nothing." he waved her off nonchalantly. "Jacket?"

She pulled it on.

Milo nodded slowly. "You know what? Get the next size up for the jacket. The dress is good. You can breathe, right?"

"Yeah, duh."

"Good. Get it."

Then he was gone.

Once Briar stepped out, he was doing backflips in the air.

"Idiot," she muttered.

"Rude." he pointed out as she walked away. He did backstroke in the air to follow her.

She swapped the jacket size, tried it on briefly, receiving Milo's certified seal of approval, and paid for her new clothes.

Margot wheeled up to her outside the shop. "Oh, good! You got something!"