"She and Yasmine can have girl's night with Tam and I." I replied taking another bite of my muffin.

"I'll tel-"

A knock on the door interrupted our conversation.

Pablo gave a hesitant "come in" and a man stepped in.

He was tan, soft midnight black curls framed his face giving him a smooth, handsome appearance. His light cerulean blue eyes gazed at me with such intensity, I couldn't look away.

Stop it.

I felt embarrassed, my marriage is ending and here I am checking out another man.

You don't need to be thinking about other men. I wasn't even sure I wanted to fall in love again, I didn't want to deal with a broken heart ever again.

I prayed that Pablo didn't notice.

He was checking me out as well. He looked at my features with a blank look on his face but the brightening of his eyes told me he liked what he saw.
His strong jaw clenched as he took note of my teary state.

"Miles, how are you man? Miles, this is Vanessa, my best friend. Vanessa, this is Miles, he's a resident doctor at the hospital." He said with a wolfish grin on his face. He saw.

"I'm Vanessa Jackson- Wo..." I paused when I was about to say my married name. "Vanessa Jackson, it's a pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasures all mine." He said sincerely, his beautiful eyes telling me he meant it.

Shaking his hand, I felt it. The sparks, the electrifying tingle that ran up my arms as we looked in each others eyes. It felt nice. I could tell he noticed as well and he liked it.

"Vanessa, Miles and I are going out to lunch later. Would you like to come?" He asked me, his eyes pleading for me to go. I looked at Miles and he looked looked like he wanted to to join as well.

"I would love too but I can't. I have other plans for lunch." I explained as I stood. I needed to tell my parents about my pending divorce.

"Would you like a muffin Miles?" I asked gesturing towards the container hoping that his gaze on me would cease.

"Sure. Are they homemade. Did you make these yourself?" He asked curious.

"I made them myself with the help of my best friend." Trying to ignore the attraction between us, I didn't say anything when he raved over how good the muffin was.

Pablo followed behind me as I approached the door.

"Again, it was nice to meet you Miles."

"Have a great day Vanessa."

"You too."

I almost missed the disappointed look in his eyes but I ignored it. I had enough going on in my life.

"We can file as soon as tomorrow if you'd like." He said as we exited his office and walked towards the exit.

"That would be great. I have lunch at 12 tomorrow." I said looking back at him.

"What?" I asked as I saw the small smirk on his face.

"Nothing." He replied smoothly.

"I'll see you tomorrow." He kissed my forehead as I unlocked my car. "Meet me at the courthouse.

"See you later. Keep the rest of the muffins. Give Alexandria a kiss for me and tell Yasmine I said hi." I said as I gave him a big hug.

He waited until I backed up to walk back inside.

Busy thoughts occupied my mind while I drove to my parent's house.

When I pulled into the driveway, I took deep breaths to brace myself. Inhale strength, exhale doubt was my motto.

Calm, I got out of my car and walked to the backyard. Going through the screen door, I entered the house through the back door.

"Dad?" I called out expecting him to be cooking lunch.

Walking into the kitchen, I saw Helena taking a dish of what looked like shepard's pie out of the oven.

"Mom?" I said as I rushed over to hug her.

"Vanessa. How have you been? Where's Matthew? I just took lunch out of the oven."

"That's what I'm here to talk to you guys about." My breath hitched as I waited for her response.

"Vanessa, what's wrong you can talk to me about anything. Are you two having problems." Her green eyes looked at me with worry.

A while after my mom and dad divorced, her and my dad began dating. They eventually got married, I was happy to see her and my father together. She was the mom I never had growing up.

"Can it wait till after lunch?"

"We'll talk then."

"Alright, mom. I'll go get dad so he can come eat."

I went to my dad's "man cave" to find him watching some action movie.

"Dad?" I called out making him turn to see me.

"Vanessa? He stood and walked over to me to give me a big hug.

"I missed you so much dad." I said chocking on the words to stop myself from crying.

"Baby, what's wrong?"

"Can we talk after lunch?"

"As soon as lunch is over Vanessa, we're going to discuss what's making you cry."

"Ok, dad."

I went to the bathroom to wash my hands.

I joined Helena and my dad in the dining room.

Helena said grace, and we enjoyed lunch which was shepherd's pie with dinner rolls on the side.

It was nice to spend with my dad and Helena.

When we was finished, I helped Helena put up lunch while my dad cleaned the dishes.

Helena told my dad and I to go to the living room so we could talk.

I was so anxious to talk to them. How do I tell them that I was getting a divorce? My knee bounced continuously as I tried to figure out how to break the news to them.

"I need to tell you both something. It's  not easy for me to come out and say it but Matthew and I are getting divorced." I said lowly.

Helena was shocked and my dad was calm.

"What made you decide to take this step?" My dad asked.

"Well I caught him cheating on me." Looking into his eyes, I fought the urge to cry.

"I just came home the other day and he was .... with another woman. Now I've been staying with Tam since then" I sobbed out at the end.

Helena gathered me into a hug as I cried on her shoulder in anguish.

I was hurt, and humiliated. How could he do this to me?

The tears were just never ending it seemed.

The day had just been taking a lot of energy out of me, so it wasn't a surprise when I woke up in my old room.

My dad had carried me to bed like he used to when I was younger.

"Go back to sleep. Stay here for the night, Helena already called Tamera. Goodnight Vanessa." He whispered standing in the doorway.

"Goodnight dad, tell Helena I said to have sweet dreams." I was so tired.

"I will baby." He kissed my forehead as I went back to sleep and shut the door on the way out.