Chapter 18

Vanessa POV:

He stood in front of our booth, a broad grin on his face.

"It's Mrs. Jackson to you." Mom said coldly, her face in a hard stare. "Why are you over here?"

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Jackson. Vanessa, can we talk?" He barely apologized before looking over at me.

I rolled my eyes. He wanted to talk?

Those dark hazel eyes didn't leave my face. He looked so happy and astounded to see me in front of him.

"Don't you dare look at her." She left the booth and stood in front of me, glaring at him. Mama bear was coming out.

I was extremely grateful, but he was right. We needed to talk. I needed to set him straight about his place in my life. This conversation is long overdue.

"He's right, mom. We do need to talk. I'll be back shortly." I gracefully got out of my seat, winking at her to show that it was ok.

She hesitantly nodded back. I had five minutes to talk until she would come and get me.

It was enough time to say what I needed and resume lunch.

I stepped in front of him to lead him to the outside dining patio that was very much in sight of the inside dining area we had left.

It offered enough privacy to say what I needed but not too much.

I made sure to be in the line of sight of our table.

"I love you. I haven't been at peace since you've left." He confessed as if it was an essential detail that he needed to share with me.

"You don't love me. You decided to cheat on me with another woman." What did he expect after saying that to me? Hugs? Kisses? Forgiveness?

"I thought you were cheating. That's why I started the affair." The words were rushed, but I heard them. He thought that I cheated on him?

I stood shocked for a moment.

"Why couldn't you talk with me? Isn't that what individuals in healthy relationships do? They communicate with each other about their concerns instead of going and making more problems." I kept talking, getting what I needed to say off my chest before never speaking to him again.

I didn't expect him to drop this bombshell.

"I know that, now, Vanessa. I should have trusted you. I wholeheartedly trust you now.

Stepping towards me again, he cupped my face. "I know you don't want to, but I need you to remember. Remember me, remember us, remember our love." His hazel eyes looked intensely into my brown ones.

Everything flashed before my eyes.

When we first met, our first kiss, dates, our wedding. Everything.

It was too much. My heart couldn't relive that.

"I can't!" I admitted, pulling away from his embrace and turning my back to him. I couldn't do it. It was too painful.

I couldn't pretend that everything was the same.

I'll never forget the weeks I spent moping over him, nearly fainting as I got tested for STDs, or getting sick when I got the blood-chilling news that he got his mistress pregnant. As much as I didn't wish it were true, this was reality.

"I know it's hard, V. Let m-."

"Don't you DARE call me that. You don't get that privilege anymore, bastard." I stared at him, furious.