5.The crying princess

Start from the beginning

Vikram stood right in his place not moving. It was his fault he thought, he knew how important it was to find these bandits information. Their time was limited in this kingdom, he should have been more responsible.

He kneeled down on his left foot immediately, bowing his head down to the earth.

"I failed in finding the information! Please Punish me, my king."

Arjuna closed his eyes, trying to control his anger as his nostrils flared. Vikram always took the responsibility of every stupid thing his men did, when will he understand that he was supposed to punish them, not the other way around.

"Stop this nonsense and get up! Go, fire those worthless Idiots! " He shouted, anger dripping down his voice.

He walked back to his chambers and put a gold chain around his neck, took his sword getting ready for the royal dinner. His mood was already rotten but he could not avoid this dinner.

Vikram stood near the entrance by the time Arjuna walked out and Vikram's head was still hanging low.

Arjuna took a long breath and stood in front of Vikram.

"Vikram raise your head and see me."

And when Vikram looked at him, he put his arm on Vikram's shoulder and said.

"Always remember this Vikram, never hold yourself responsible for something which is not in your hands."

Vikram looked at him with an expression which he could not decode, was that pain in his eyes or remorse?

"Don't overthink, after we are done with the dinner let us decide what the next step will be."

* * *

The dinner was more than boring, it was stodgy. He happened to meet Princess Priyamvada and to say she was beautiful would be an overstatement, she was a little pale in complexion with dark lumps of kajal near her eyes, probably to highlight her face but in reality, she looked like a pale untrained demon and those multiple golden bangles were not attractive, they just irritated his eyes. Priyamvada was bubbling with happiness unlike the other princess he saw today as he could still remember the agony in her cries, those tears and her hopeless heartbroken words. At the bottom of his heart, he wants her to put up a fight, at least by doing she can have her self-respect.

He noticed an empty chair beside the Privamvada, it must be for the crying princess.

He smiled to himself thinking about the name he gave her.

All at once, as if someone tapped his shoulder he turned around only to find a beautiful woman walking inside with her head down and eyes to the floor. Her bright parrot green dress looked mesmerising and the hall echoed by the soft jingling sound from her anklets and a sweet scent of jasmines engulfed him as she passed by. Even from a distance, he could say that she was the crying princess.

She jas changed her clothes but not her heart, the weary and sad look on her face making Arjuna frown invisibly.

He was almost disappointed when she sat at the end of the eating space, out of his sight. But luck was in his favour tonight, as she soon sat right in front of him.

Princess Chitra.

Her name was beautiful like her, he thought and throughout the dinner, he kept stealing glances to have a full look at her. She was silent all the while and he wondered how her voice would sound? Soft like how she looks? Or a little screeching like her sisters? 

On the other hand, King Indradas was almost out of words praising Priyamvada but never once he cared to speak a word about Chitra which made Arjuna curious about why the king was not talking about his other daughter.

But when finally she looked up he found her eyes brimmed up with tears. He couldn't tear his eyes away from her face, he never knew that eyes could be so captivating, her eyeballs were dark brown with long dark lashes which kept fanning her pink cheeks. However, he was shocked to see her almost crying but when he looked straight in her eyes he found nothing but pain. Was she always sad? Or was it just a bad day for her? 

Before he could find his answers she looked down hiding her face. Regardless when their eyes met again, he found a strong sense of determination to get rid of whatever pain she was facing. It shocked him as to why he was having such strong feelings towards a woman he barely knows.

Shortly after that, the dinner came to an end and before he could come up with an excuse to converse with her, she excused herself saying she was sick and walked out of the hall. Chitra left, taking sweet aroma and his smiles with her. 

"Oh god, could she not act normal for a day?" Muttered Royal lady Chandrakala with a complaining voice, and when Arjuna looked around he found almost every one with the same expression.

So what he had guessed was right, princess Chitra was no one's favourite. And he was more than curious to find out more about her.

* * *

Hey Hey ! Press the star down here🌟