26. Rejection.

After listening to what Chitra told the kid, Rajamatha had asked Arjuna to leave so that they both could have a talk. Obliging Arjuna left as she walked inside.

"Rajamatha!" Chitra immediately acknowledged her presence, standing up with fear as the previous day's incidents flashed in her brain.

" Who's there? " She clapped her hands, a royal guard immediately walked in, " My queen! "

" Take this kid to his father." She said and the guard exactly did that. While leaving Sridhar gave Chitra a small kiss on her cheek bidding his byes.

Rajamatha sat in front of the window and she signalled Chitra to sit.

Chitra sat quietly, was she here to send her out of the kingdom? Or worse break her marriage with Arjuna? No! If she was here for that she will do anything to-

"Arjuna had asked me to have a talk with you before I came to any conclusions." She spoke in a calm tone, " I was not totally convinced when I came here, but you created a chance for yourself as I got to see that you have a broad view about how a king should be. So speak, this is your only chance." Saying she crossed a leg over her other leg.

" My mother was a royal dancer so when she married my father she never got any royal treatment. But my father ordered that I should be treated as a princess at any cost, my mother passed away when I was a little girl and since then my handmaid Meenakshi bought me up. "

Listening to Chitra, Rajamatha Padma frowned as she asked," Then, were you genuinely not interested in arts? "

Chitra hesitated before speaking, " Um, Queen Sulekha has restricted the royal teachers from teaching me anything."

Rajmata's expression changed, her expressions scared Chitra so she immediately piped up, " I am not complaining about her! I am just saying what has happened, Mennama has taught me stitching though-"

" How pathetic!" Rajmata almost screamed as Chitra's eyes filled with tears, she knew it! She should have just sat mum, why did she even open her mouth?

" It is a shame to even call such a woman as a Queen!"

Chitra's eyes went as she realised that she was talking about her step mother and not her. She breathed in relief, probably now she won't try to take Arjuna away from her.

" Why didn't you talk about this to your father?" She asked with a deep frown.

" I was not allowed to walk around the palace and my father never visited me after my mother's death. "

" What a shame!" She exclaimed, " Don't worry Chitra, we have the best of teachers for arts. You can join those classes with Nandhini."

Chitra was shocked to see this side of her, was she mocking her or something?

" I don't usually apologize, Chitralekha. But I am going to this time, forgive me for my mistake, will you?" She asked, holding Chitra's hand.

Overwhelmed by emotions Chitra just nodded her head as tears of happiness were sliding down her face. Rajmatha Padma took her face in her hand and placed a small kiss on her forehead.

" Ma!" Arjuna came running, " Ma, Nandhini.." His voice trailed as his face was filled with panic.

Chitra's breath quickened, worried about what Nnadhini had done.

* * *

" Why, why are you doing this Vikram?" Nandhini asked as she was holding the collar of his armour in her hands, making him look in her eyes.

" Why won't you acknowledge the sparks between us? If you are worried about my brother then I can talk to him-"

" Why don't you understand Nandhini, we are not made to be together! I am a warrior and you are a princess! You are meant to be a queen! So stop being shameless and marry that king!!" Vikram screamed with frustration. But his heart pained as if someone was squeezing it.