Chapter 19

Walking through the doors of Bill's house, or as Eric called it: 'royal castle', Brooklynne wondered how weird it must have been for Sookie to step foot inside. It had changed more than their own house and was barely recognizable. Of course, Brooke had been there so many times she almost knew it like the back of her hand. She didn't need for the human guards to lead her to the King's office. At some point that summer she had spent days and nights helping Bill with a vampire crisis. Walking through the house made her miss the sun. Not just because of the fake windows, but Bill, perhaps in an attempt of modernizing his tastes, had decorated everything in black and white, and Brooke always thought Sookie would add a little color to it.

"Ah," Bill said as they came in, as if he were impatiently waiting for them. He was sitting at his desk, pen and paper in his hands, and a worried look on his face. "Thank you for coming."

"What's so important, your Majesty?" Eric said, the way he always said those words, sarcastically.

"There's a new coven in town."

"Again?"

"Oh no, witches," Eric sighed as he stopped himself from rolling his eyes.

"Based out of a Wicca shop, not far from here. We..." he paused, then stood up. "I sent a vampire to stop them, two nights ago. We only found him earlier tonight... he seems he's forgotten... everything."

"What do you mean 'everything'?" Eric asked.

"His name, his past... He knows he's a vampire but only seems to remember fragments of his human life."

"So the witches cast a spell on him?" Brooke deduced.

"They're necromancers," Bill informed them. "They brought a bird back from the dead."

"A bird?"

"Are you certain of this?" Eric asked, suddenly as concerned as his King.

"I had someone on the inside. You know what this means, don't you?"

"If they can control the dead, they can control us," he nodded.

"That's why I need Brooklynne. I need her to ask Marnie if she knows how to undo the spell she cast two nights ago."

"Can't you glamour her?"

"Like I said. She's a necromancer."

"I'm not letting Brooklynne go in that coven alone."

"She won't have to. Marnie's downstairs."

"You kidnapped the witch?" Eric scoffed. "Just kill her."

"I thought that would be the reasonable thing to do as well," he said. "But Nan disagreed. We're forbidden from killing her or any human."

"Fuck her. Make it look like an accident."

"Any vampire who kills a mortal will be sentenced to the True Death. Is that what you want?"

"It's fine," Brooke interrupted them. "I'll go."

"Wait," Eric stopped her. "We don't know what she's capable of, she could cast a spell on you too."

"She won't go alone," Bill told them. "I'll send a human agent down with her."

"Oh, thanks, I feel so much better now," Eric replied sarcastically.

"I'll be fine," Brooke repeated. "I can read minds, remember? I'll be out of there before she can say Bibidi-Bobidi-Boo."

"You think she shares the same spell book as the fat fairy from Snow-White? It's too dangerous."

Brooklynne couldn't help but laugh. "First of all, it's the fairy godmother from Cinderella. Second of all, I'm not asking for you permission."