8. A Prom Story

A circus checked into the hotel. I found the acrobats amazing, especially how they flex their bodies to fit into tight spaces. The twins were stoked, saying that the circus had run away to them. 

Amidst the circus buzz, I caught snippets of Maddie and her friends planning their prom. The anticipation was palpable as they discussed potential locations. London, with a glint in her eye, offered to negotiate with Uncle Marion to use the ballroom and even book Maroon 5 for a live performance. 

Cody's fascination with mimes was ignited when he spotted one of the circus performers. Despite my attempts to explain that mimes communicate through actions, not words, he was determined to give it a try. 

"Mar," Zack shut the book I was reading. "I gotta tell you something huge."

"What?" I frowned at the fact that I couldn't recall what page or chapter I was on.

"I'm in love with Maddie, and she loves me, but she doesn't know it yet."

"There's one problem. She's three years older than us."

"So? Age is just a number."

"Mads is probably into boys her age. She sees you as a friend. And second, age is a state of mind."

Whenever Zack tried his pickup lines with Maddie, it didn't affect her since she saw him as a little kid and not her soulmate.

When the evening of Maddie prom came around, Maroon 5 had a last-minute benefit concert for whales, which explained the band never showing up. If they did, the hotel would be packed with crazed fans. 

Plus, Zack was dressed in a tux since he thought he was Maddie's date. And Cody was wearing a mime costume.

Some of Maddie's fellow students were about to leave since Maroon 5 was a no show. London went as far as to hire an accordion player. And no, it wasn't Weird Al himself!

"I got an idea," I turned to Zack just as Cody climbed on the platform with the accordion player and attempted to put on his mime show.

"So, do I," he told me.

"Oh, no, I'm doomed," Maddie groaned at seeing her prom turn into a disaster.

"Leave everything to Marley and me, Maddie."

Zack and I ran out of the ballroom to find the circus troupe. The idea was to convince them to put on a show for the prom attendees to make the event more thrilling and memorable.

"Hey, Maurice," Zack called out to the mime who hadn't spoken a word in thirty years.

Maurice turned to run away thinking it was Cody who wouldn't leave him alone.

"No, no, don't run! You're confusing me with my twin brother," Zack added as the mime stopped and turned to face him seeing that it wasn't Cody.

"I'll make sure to keep the other guy away from you," I assured Maurice who had a relieved expression.

"We've got a question for you and your troupe."

Maurice turned and made a gesture as if he were summoning them. The circus troupe gathered at his side at once.

"Do you guys like accordion music?" Zack asked them.

Maurice shook his head telling us he didn't. I figured the rest of the troupe also weren't fans of the accordion.

"Are you interested in some free cocktail weenies?" Zack wondered.

The entire troupe shook their heads.

"Look, the girl I love is there. Her party is a disaster, and I can fix it I'll be her hero," Zack expressed. "And one day when we get married and have kids, I'll tell them of this night. And how circus people are good, kind, caring people. And not horrible, hideous freaks like everyone thinks."

"What he means is, you guys are an amazing troupe," I added obviously knowing Maddie would still see Zack as one of her friends and nothing else.

Maurice and the entire troupe gave Zack and me each a thumbs up, telling us they would be the entertainment.

Zack and I led the troupe into the ballroom just as the music started. Maddie and her fellow schoolmates and their chaperones were astonished of the entertainment. All of them started dancing at that moment and watching the acrobats perform their stunts. 

"Did you guys do all this?" Maddie asked on approaching Zack and me as we watched the scene.

"Yep. All for you," Zack answered. "So, you could have the best prom ever."

"It's what friends do for each other," I nodded.

"Zack, Marley. I love you both," Maddie smiled as she hugged both of us at the same time. "I can't wait to see Jeff's face.

"Jeff?" Zack wondered with a confused expression.

"This senior I'm really crazy about. I hope he hasn't left yet."

As Maddie walked away to find Jeff, Zack displayed a look of disappointment. 

"I'm sorry," I apologized to him. 

Zack shrugged not saying a word. Cody came over to us and mimed some goofy expressions, which got Zack heading out.

"Was it something I mimed?" Cody wondered. 

"No. It isn't," I shook my head. "Work on your act."

Uncle Marion and Carey came into the ballroom to see how the prom was going. My uncle ended up dancing with the chaperones which got me smiling.

When the music switched to a slow song, I noticed Zack serving a plate of cocktail wieners with a gloomy expression. I felt bad for him. Next, I noticed Jeff, the guy Maddie was into already had a girlfriend who showed up. Maddie was bummed out. 

"Hey, Zack," I approached him. "I think Maddie could some cheering up." 

"Why? She's already with Jeff," Zack sighed.

"You might wanna take a look."

I pointed out Jeff who was dancing with his girlfriend. Zack ended up placing the platter on the refreshment table and Maddie approached him. 

Another slow song started and soon, both Zack and Maddie started dancing with each other. I happily watched my friends have the time of their lives.

Soon, I found Cody trying to serve Maurice a plate of meaty appetizers. The poor mime shook his head trying to tell him no. 

"Codes, he's telling you no. He doesn't want any of the stuff on the plate," I informed him as I shoved him away from Maurice who was relieved. I turned to the mime. "I take it you're a vegetarian."

Maurice nodded at me with a smile.