Chapter 8

Emily pulled a mask around her face as she dashed up the stairs. By the time Emily reached the landing, Ruby had collapsed. "Sam!" she shouted. The girl groaned and an arm sluggishly moved. Emily almost heaved a sigh of relief. Almost. This dust was nasty stuff. She should have known it would be here, just like last time.
     Emily ran to the girl. She tried to apply a mask to the girl's face as briskly as she could. The rubber straps would not cooperate. After only a few moments, she decided to just hold the mask over the young face. She deftly picked her up, with one arm wrapping almost all the way around to hold the mask, and descended the stairs quickly but safely. Emily carried her into the bathroom and started drawing warm water.
     Emily removed her hand holding the mask and started ripping off the girl's now-brown apparel with one hand. She scooped handfuls of water from the tub with the other and splashed them over the girl, starting at her face. The girl was giggling. A drunken giggle. She started mumbling, but her volume grew exponentially. "Oh, James, so we have to? Hee, hee, hee, hee! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! Not there! Over there!" She was yelling when she was telling him where to go. That was also when Emily scooped her up again and lay her in the tub.
     She put a hand to the girl's head. She was on fire. Emily heard Caleb coming to the bathroom. He called from the hall, "Hey, Emily, Ruby, you two okay?" He sounded worried. That was bad. He was panicking on the inside right now. Emily hated to, but she closed the door. Caleb pounded on it. "Umm... why did you close the door, honey?" "Sorry, Caleb. Ruby probably doesn't want either of us to see her like this, but she needs me. She glanced at the clothes. They were soaked with dust, like if Ruby had jumped into a brown ocean. She grabbed them gingerly with one hand and opened the door slightly with the other. "Take these! Get them into the biggest drum we have, and then cover them in ice. Don't disturb them too much!" He hastily, yet gingerly, took the vestments. Now all that was left was to wait, and to pray. Caleb heard his wife mumbling something as he rushed away scrupulously.