The Anaki Prophecy ~ Ch. 8

• Dedicated to My Sister, who is awesome

                 It can't be true.  I'm not who they think.  They're crazy. 

                These thoughts continued running circles in my mind.  It was all too much.

                It was one thing for the Anaki to exist.  It was still a shock, but one I could handle.  But for me to be a descendent of the Anaki Chiefs, for me to be a prophesied Great Sorceress, that was ludicrous.  No, that would mean too much, imply way too much. 

                It would mean my life was not my own.

                It would mean life would become more complicated.

                It would mean Uncle John had been keeping secrets from me.

                It would mean my parents...

                I couldn't finish the thought. 

                My fingers played with the orb around my neck as I thought these things.  "You know it was made for you," someone below spoke.  A hand latched onto the large branch I'd positioned myself on and pulled up the lean body it was attached to.  "It was forged for you by the same prophet who foretold your coming." 

                "You're insane," I shook my head at him, refusing to believe what he was attempting to tell me. 

                "Am I?" he smirked slightly, raising an eyebrow as if it were a challenge.  I shifted my weight uncomfortably, attempting to move away from him a bit while not falling from the branch.  I disliked his confidence on the matter.  "Tell me, what do you know of the orb?"

                "It's an ancient Anaki orb and it supposedly protects the wearer.  On the person it was intended for, it's like it becomes an extension of them," I repeated verbatim what Uncle John had told me so many times. 

                "An extension is an interesting way to describe it," Preston nodded, "It's like a shield.  It was intended to protect you, knowing you wouldn't start training until you were older.  They didn't think you'd need it so early.  After the Darak attack on your family your grandmother brought it to your uncle to give you.  It's a part of you.  It reacts to how you feel.  If you feel tense, armor up.  If you feel unsure, armor up.  It can actually form a bubble around you."  I looked at him like he was crazy but then I thought about what he was saying.  When I woke up a bright blue light surrounded me then faded as I realized everything was alright.  And when the guard challenged me at the gate, Barrett said it looked like a very dim shield formed around me. 

                "Would others be able to see it?" I asked.  "The shield, I mean.  Would others be able to see it?"

                "Only those with Anaki blood in them.  For instance, I could see it in the clearing when you were being attacked but the Darak couldn't," Preston stated then searched my face, "Why?"

                "Barrett," I stammered, "He could see it." 

                "You're kidding," Preston wondered at it.  "I guess he was meant to be here with you after all.  If he can see it, he's got to be Anaki." 

                "Well, he said it was dim," I stated, "But I'd never noticed it before he mentioned it."

                "Dim it most certainly is not," Preston said, "It's almost blinding it's so bright."  He thought for a moment, "He must be only part Anaki.  A small part at that."