Callie's voice is quick and soft, she's like this when she's overly concerned. "Esme, why hello."

  "Hello, Callie. How are you doing this fine morning?"

  "Fantastic, uh, do you know where Jo is?"

  "Joanna? She's right upstairs in the dining room, Callie. Shall I direct you?"

  There's a short pause. "Please."

Each step that was taken by the two made fabricated a crack on her stone-like skin. Everyone made her on edge, made her fingers clench the leather couch she was seated on. Their voices neared her, becoming so loud she felt that she was stuck in a crowded nightclub. Invisible sweat collected on her forehead and when her mother connected eyes with her, a whole cloud of sweat crashed upon her.

  A weak smile covered her lips. "Hi, Mama."

  "J-" She stopped, her eyes falling towards her stomach. Nothing. Her stomach that once stuck out, showing her pregnancy was gone. Her gift of motherhood vanished just like that. From her spot, she could sense her soul crumbling. Then, she took in the way her mother trembled in her spot, dropping her purse near her flats. Quickly, her hands smacked over her mouth as a loud, heart-clenching sob fell from her. "The baby!"

  "Mama," Joanna, keeping an eye both on her mother and her pace, pulled her mother towards her. Long arms circling around her frame. "I-I was terrified to tell you." Act like you're upset. Act like you're traumatized. "It happened over the weekend."

  Her hold tightens when her mother's sobs worsen. Maybe she held Jasper's gift too, because her mother's feelings were killing her. Despite feeling overwhelmed, Joanna pulls her mother closer, making sure not to make her newborn strength noticeable. If she let go, if she dared to let her grip loosen, she felt that she would lose her. Maybe that's how Jasper felt when he returned from his family's little, depression-inducing, break. 

  "Why didn't you tell me?!" Callie pulls back in both anger and appall. This was her daughter and when she was born, they signed on a contract that allowed them to tell the other anything. Her mother was the first to know about her pain, her sexuality, her feelings towards her first crush. But when Joanna came into contact with the family full of stunning individuals, something in her was flipped. "Joanna, why didn't you tell me about my own damn grandchild?!"

  Once a lie was said, another had to be said, too. "I was s-scared, mama. I'm still dealing with this shit, also!"

  "I-I cannot believe this. What about the baby? The flipping baby, Jo!"

  "Ma-" Her words were cut off as a shrill scream of an infant was heard, snatching the attention of the two females as if they were pulled on leashes. Joanna moved aside, bounding forward as she heard her favorite blonde come in. "This is...Ethan Hale. He's...he's our son."

  Stunned, eyes full of nonstop tears that stained her dark skin and the polished floor below her, Callie stared at him. Ethan stared back, grey eyes glittering with need. 

 "...he's your grandson," Jasper informs her, reaching into his back pocket where he retrieved a pacifier. Immediately after it was placed on his lips, Ethan was relaxing in his arms. "Only if you-"

  Callie butted in, not moving from her spot. "M-my grandson?"

  She had to force herself to look away as her mother started to frown. "Mama, he's your grandson." Lies after lies were hitting Callie like a car racing over the speed limit. "Ethan Hale is part of this family now."

    Beside her, she could see Jasper shaking subtly, most likely from her mother's emotions. They were switching every time a new idea entered her mind. Her emotions flipped around whenever her hazel eyes drifted from him to her daughter, and then the baby.