Chapter 19

Yuma felt like he was finally making some progress. Turns out that the maze was shorter than he thought. He was just making it harder for himself.

At the end of the maze was a wooden door in stark contrast to all the mirrors. He turned the knob and exited that wretched room.

He entered another room. This room was much more pleasing, but the boy knew that it would turn bad. The room held one plush red chair. The walls were cream and scarlet with alternating patterns. On the wall in front of the chair was a large TV. This room was pretty much the dream of a lazy man if there were snacks.

The TV switched on on its own. The face of a cocky cat lady showed up.

"I see you've made it this far, human boy," she purred. "Unfortunately, the same can't be said for anyone where I'm at." She laughed. "Your sister? Zombified! Black Mist? Drained! You're..." She giggled. "...lover? Well, I'll let you find that out for yourself."

"Lover?" It took Yuma a while to realize who she was talking about. "You mean Astral?"

"Yes, him." She giggled again. Then, a door opened that shouldn't have been there. "I'll give you a free pass to see them all. Right this way, little Tsukumo," she purred. Then, the screen went black again.

Yuma looked at the opened door warily. He wondered if he should go in or not. After all, that crazy cat lady seemed keen on letting him in. There was something suspicious about it.

His curiosity got the better of him. Yuma cautiously walked through on his toes. For some reason, he didn't want to make any noise in this immaculate room. He passed through the door, peeking through. The room was dark and stank of dog. He concluded that this room was where they were all gathered.

"Hello?" he called. "Is anyone there?"

In the dim light, his eyed adjusted on the forms of cats and dogs laying around lazily.

"So, you came," the voice of the cat lady purred. "I was sure you would."

The lights came off, and the first thing he saw was the two bodies, one on a table, and the other in a cage. The one on the table was like a black version of Astral with red markings on his forehead. His eyes were closed, but he knew that it was Astral's little brother.

In the cage was Akari, much to Yuma's horror. She was slumped against the wall, lifeless, her hair in her face. Her eyes were barely visible. They held no life. A lump formed in the boy's throat.

"A-Akari...?" He walked over to her slowly. "Akari...can you hear me?"

She gave no answer. No sharp response, no knowing smile. Nothing.

Before he had time to cry, the cat lady laughed. "You like the little surprise?" she sang. "There's one more."

The final light came on, revealing a tube on the wall. Inside, hanging limply with his hands chained to the wall, was Astral with a huge bite mark. The wounds had long since scarred, as if the moment he was injured, heat cauterized the wounds. There was many burn marks that mimicked the sequence of lightning. Was he killed by that?

"I think I may have that...crush..."

"On who?"

"Y-you..."

Those words echoed through his head. That confession. He really felt like beating the living shit out of them now!

"Why you...!" he growled. "Why did you do this to them!?"

the cat lady laughed. She had a tendancy to do that. "Because it's fun!"

"Fun?"

Then, the door slammed open. A man with a sword of water strode in with an angry glare. He was definately beat up with bites and scratch wounds that were dressed with bandages. He looked ragged and torn up, yet he was alive. Who was this man? "Shila!" he roared. "That is the last time I allow you to take another world!" Then, his gaze settled on Astral and Black Mist.

"Oh, I'm afraid that it's too late, King Godith," she purred. "I took darkness and inner strength."

King Godith glared at her, but he addressed Yuma. "Boy, my dragon is outside. I want you to take my sons and the girl out of here."

"How? There are dogs and cats everywhere!"

"Leave them to me."

The dogs got up and snarled, showing their fangs covered in saliva. They transformed into their canine forms and prowled closer. The cats yowled.

King Godith swept his sword. The water fell off, and the wind carried the drops on everyone save for Black Mist and Akari. Lady Shila was the only one clever enough to put on her cloak, which was waterproof. While the others danced in spasms, she was perfectly fine.

"What's in that sword?" Yuma asked in wonder.

"I will tell you later. Take them while I take care of this feline."

Yuma nodded and grabbed Black Mist first. He rushed out of the room.

~.Royal POV.~

Godith glared at Lady Shila. "You killed my son and drained my other son," he growled. "I will never forgive you for that!"

Lady Shila meowed and jumped off her chair. "Does that mean you're challenging me?"

"Yes. You thought your pets killed me, but they have failed."

"Nyah, I can see that. When I truly kill you, I will punish them." She unsheathed her claws and hissed.

"You think that I am intimidated?" Godith laughed.

While they were having this conversation, he saw the boy breaking the lock of the cage with a rock and carried the girl out.

"Shall we fight?" she asked.

Godith raised his sword.

"Enough talk, then."

~.Human POV.~

Yuma grunted and raised Akari onto the cart that the dragon was pulling. The dragon didn't seem to mind. He tried to get her into a position that didn't guarantee cramps when she woke up from her trance. Then, he went back inside.

The two were clashing sword and claws. Those claws were surprisingly durable! He made sure to evade them while he went to the tube.

In the tube, Astral's eyes were wide open. It looked like they lacked pupils! Could they contract to that size? His mouth was slightly open. His face looked slightly shocked.

Yuma opened the glass of the tube with all his strength. Lady Shila didn't seem to care. After all, she had no need for them anymore.

Unlike a human dead body, Astral's body was still limp, like a puppet's. If he were two attach puppet strings on him, he would be a puppet. The thought disgusted him. He just carried him out.