64. Ten Tickets

NICK's POV

"America?", he asked with a confused tone.

I raised my eyebrows at him and nodded. My eyes fell on Reign's pencil resting beside my hand. I touched it and started to fiddle with it as my mind started redrawing our little eye contact during the conference. It wasn't for even a split second but I can't fade it. Just thinking about that moment races my heart.

"I assume you know Reign Adams." I spoke. I was still fiddling with the pencil unconsciously, my eyes seemed to have stuck on it with a train of thoughts that included only her. Rafael is smart, he has an eidetic memory and he knows everybody.

"The new CEO of the Adams' hotels from New York, David Adams daughter? yes." He seconded and I met his gaze.

The look on Rafael's face suddenly changed, seemed like he remembered something. He scrunched his eyebrows. "Is this regarding the gunshot?", he asked sitting straight.

I leaned back into my chair and let out a sigh. I placed the pencil back to it's place.
"That... and she has been attacked repeatedly since then..." I don't understand why she didn't tell anyone sooner. I don't know what's going on in her mind but things like this shouldn't be kept away. I thought I read her, I knew her but I was wrong altogether it seems.

"That gunshot happened merely... 6 months ago and you say she has been attacked repeatedly since then?"

"Yes."

He hummed looking down as he traced his index finger on the big scar on his face. He does that when he's thinking and he hums a lot which gets annoying after a while.
"I see..."

He looked up at me with a little curiosity flickering in his eyes.

"So when should I fly to New York? I will have to meet her." He said pulling himself to the edge of the chair.

"No. You cannot see her." I snapped and he gave me a puzzled look. I quickly & completely became alert that if Reign finds out my private investigator is sniffing around then she might hate me more.

"She can't know there's a detective snooping around. She'll get worried." I told him.

He hummed again.
"Okay... but I will have to have a chat with her in future, nobody will know better about the attacks than her."

"Yes, of course." I agreed.

"So... how much do you know her?", he asked me.

I raised one eyebrow at him.
"Are you suspecting me, Mattos?", I couldn't believe him.

He let out a soft chuckle as he looked down and up at me again.
"No, Sir. I'm just collecting information."

"But I might get to you at some point if I have to...", he said.

I threw my hand out gesturing do whatever you want.
"I just want the person behind this."

He gave a nod.
"So does she have any nemesis? Anyone she has done wrong?", he asked resting his elbows on the chair hand rests.

"No", I said without giving any thought, like a reflex. Reign would never hurt anyone with or without purpose. She's not like that.

But she hurt you.

He looked down.
"Hmm..."