Crossing the Line

A/N: Hey guys! This is set immediately after the "WE REACT TO COURTNEY'S OLD YOUTUBE VIDEOS" Smosh Pit video. This story goes with the assumption that Courtney and Shayne have been beating around the bush of a relationship for a very long time now. They've spent a ridiculous amount of time together, and have become physically intimate, but without ever crossing *the line* for fear of what that might entail. This oneshot is how I imagine they step over that line, with that video as the catalyst.

I promised myself I wouldn't write a Shourtney fanfiction once I discovered this ship. But I went really fuckin' deep down the rabbithole, and then came across that video. Courtney just seemed so upset that I couldn't imagine that there was no conflict once the shoot was over. It led to inspiration for this, and so I'm writing this to help get the Shourtney bug out of my system so I can function like a normal human being without constantly wanting to read more Shourtney trash.

___________________________________________________________________

They'd always given each other shit.

That was just their dynamic. Shayne would pick something and make fun of her for it, and Courtney would call him dumb and give him shit for that. Razzing each other like that was nothing new for them; it was how they bonded. He loved that about them, about her.

Hell, it was how Ian bonded with anyone in the squad too. It was why he and Ian got along so well to begin with. They lived to good naturedly ruffle everyone's feathers to maximum comedic effect. Everyone in Smosh was more than familiar with them and their sense of humor.

So, when Courtney stood up and marched off without a word once the production crew gave the all clear – they knew they struck a nerve. She found the door and made her exit within moments. The crew exchanged glances, sending a few Ian and Shayne's way. The older of the two shifted uncomfortably in his seat, fidgeting with the sleeves of his flannel.

"Yeah, we uhh, screwed the pooch on that one," Ian muttered. His eyes were trained on the still open laptop, with Courtney's old YouTube videos pulled up.

The blonde blew air out of his mouth, hunching over the desk and putting his face in his hands.

"Fuck," He took his cap off, setting it on top of the second, "We hit too deep there, man."

"I mean," Ian let out a tentative sigh, "It was her idea for us to react to her old vid-"

"Yeah, react, not roast!" Shayne cut him off, the guilt now very quickly stirring his insides.

"Point taken. She didn't sign up for that..." Ian leaned back in his chair, "Fuck."

"Oh god," Shayne stood up now, walking around the table to face Ian.

"She hates us," He said, more quietly this time, "She hates us, Ian!"

Shayne turned around to look at where Courtney made her exit. Ryan shot him a grimace from where he stood by the equipment. This wasn't good. They really hurt her this time. Usually when they did react videos, they had the whole squad together. There was better balance when that was the case. You had Shayne and Ian being dicks, while Keith and Noah were usually a lot more supportive, and Olivia was... well, Olivia.

But now it was just Courtney and "her boys," as she liked to call them, and they did her dirty. Shayne gulped subconsciously. The image of her betrayed face was seared into his mind. She looked at him for help more than once, and he didn't pick up on it. The last thing he ever wanted was to hurt her. He'd sooner lock himself in a closet with dolls than see Courtney hurt. But there they were, and the damage was done.