"Laxus is right, it wouldn't be really wise for you to come with us, baby", Bickslow said and the green haired man rolled his eyes.

He had forgotten already how protective Laxus, Bickslow and Evergreen could get. Of course he understood that they only meant well and he agreed that someone should stay with Felix, Chester and Theo while others were collecting poison.

But if he was honest, it just felt a bit ridiculous for them to act like this when there wasn't actually any proof yet why he should stay aside. Sure they knew how strong dragon mating season could be with its ancient magic, but Freed needed an actual proof. Porlyusica had not yet said anything sure and Laxus hadn't noticed anything different so... Maybe things really weren't as they thought?

"I'll stay aside", Freed agreed nonetheless as he knew Laxus wouldn't let him go with them anyway.

"Wise decision", Laxus smirked. "We got this, Freed. We'll be careful", he assured as they started to get down the hill.

Freed muttered something and he sat down with Felix, Chester and Theo.

"How are they going to collect the poison?" Chester asked.

"I have no idea, but I hope everything goes fine", Freed sighed.

They looked how Laxus, Bickslow, Roscoe and Evergreen approached the kalma-mound without hurry. It moved slowly, so slowly it almost looked it just stayed in its place. But eventually one of the legs heavily hit the ground, breaking twigs and the rotting tree on its body were crackling. Somehow they were waiting to hear growling or something similar but the creature stayed perfectly silent, gradually lifting up another leg.

It really did move slowly. Of course Baluhu and Theophilius had already told that to them, but they all were surprised by how slowly it really moved.

"This is gonna be a piece of cake", Bickslow smirked as they scattered around the kalma-mound.

This time it completely stopped moving. Obviously it was sensing there was something moving around it. Freed was really interested to observe this behaviour. It was a fungus after all! It didn't have brain so how did it even move or notice it was being targeted? How did it understand it was in danger? Without a doubt, this thing was by far the most fascinating creature he had ever seen before.

"Mama, if they get poisoned, can we cure them?" Felix asked worried.

"I'm sure Baluhu has some antidote", Freed assured. "Don't worry, they promised to be careful so they won't get poisoned."

Laxus stepped right in front of the creature. Or he assumed it was the front side, since it had head there and it had been moving to that direction. Why it had a head, he had no idea. Maybe it was trying to look like a big animal so other animals left it alone?

"So we have to make it defend itself and produce poison, but we can't kill it?" he said. "So just attacking it only a little bit? That's such a pain in the ass", he grunted and electricity crackled around his fist.

"Be careful with it", Evergreen reminded.

"Yeah yeah, whatever", Laxus grunted and he raised his fist.

He let out a shocking lightning punch, hitting on the wood that was already soft because all the years. He felt how it easily sunk in, like hitting a pillow. Something greenish yellow squished out between all the crap covering the kalma-mound and Laxus quickly pulled away before touching it.

"Watch out!" he shouted and jumped away, others doing the same. Freed stood up, ready to grab Felix, Chester and Theo if something would happen.

The kalma-mound trembled, its legs got wobbly and its body was expanding like a balloon. Then suddenly it shrunk down, wood falling and it just... Fell apart. Everything crashed down on the ground and there was no sign of that yellow goo Laxus had seen before.