"Mother!" He glared at her. "Focus."

"Oh, okay then." She looked offended and seemed to blink back tears. "No need to be snippy I was just trying to make conversation."

His heart softened. He stepped down from the stool and wrapped his arms around his tiny mother. She seemed to shrink smaller every year and had gotten so thin. She said it was the yoga lessons but he worried about her.

"I know mom, I'm just upset. I'm sorry. Go on." He pulled back from her and made his way over to the bench and put the kettle on the stove. "Cuppa?"

"Yes dear, that would be nice."

The mood had calmed and after she settled herself on the stool she continued her story. "Tess came stalking across the yard and now I think about it, she did appear a little... confused. Almost like she'd forgotten why she'd approached."

Cole spooned sugar into one of the mugs. "Confused how?"

"I don't take sugar these days." His mother indicated the mug. He tipped the sugar back into the canister. "Well, she came up like a woman on a mission. I must admit I couldn't remember her name. There are so many maids and laborers that work on the property. I'm ashamed to say I pretended to know who she was, but I had no idea at the time."

"That's alright mother, it's to be expected. Go on." It wasn't alright. The way his mother and especially his father, treated the staff. Almost like appliances. They had no name, no distinguishing features and were only useful when they needed something. It wouldn't have hurt his parents to get to know their staff as living, breathing people, they worked so closely with them after all. But now was not the time to argue with his mother. He needed her to get through the story so he could work out what the hell happened that day.

"Anyway, she stalked across the lawn and demanded to speak with me. I obliged and offered her a cookie. She sat down and then her face became blank like she had no idea why she was there. She asked if I'd called for her. Which I said no. She looked a little pale so I offered her a cup of tea. After a few sips, the color came back to her cheeks and she said she's sorry but she needed to terminate her employment, effective immediately." His mother pulled the cup towards her the second Cole poured the tea into it.

"And?"

"And what? Of course, I said yes, she looked terrible dear. I thought she may have found out some terrible health news. I didn't want to pry, so I let her go."

"Never to be heard from again?" Cole scrunched his face up and rolled his eyes to the ceiling trying to add all the information up in his head.

"It was a jolly tough job to work out who she was too. The housekeeping supervisor, I can't remember her name now either, but she went through a process of elimination to work out who'd left."

Cole slumped his shoulders. "It seems pretty straight forward. I don't know how this could be a misunderstanding but if not that... then what?"

His mother, still perched on the edge of the barstool, sipped at her hot drink. She pulled back and delicately blew the steam from the top before regarding him with a raised brow over the rim of the mug, "Cole, I think it's time you faced a few facts," she said gently.

"What facts? What are you trying to say?"

She got up and stepped around the counter to him, she placed one arm around him in a side hug. "You can't deny she's been acting strangely. Maybe... maybe something's wrong with her brain."

Cole pulled away. "I can't believe that."

He tipped his drink down the sink and wiped the countertop with a damp cloth.

"I'm just saying, maybe we could get Dr. Nancarow to come and take a look at her. There's no harm in that. Maybe it's something simple."

"What if it's not?" He turned on the tap and rinsed the cloth, unable to make eye contact with his mother's concerned gaze. If he looked at her he might just crumble. He didn't want there to be anything wrong with Tess. Every time a happy future together got close, it was snatched away from him. 

"Oh sweetheart, she'll be fine. Dr. Nancarow has been our family doctor for decades, he'll fix her up in no time."

"Okay," He hesitated. "see if you can get him out here tomorrow. She'll be home by then."

"Home from where? Where is Tess?"

Feeling suddenly guilty, Cole realized he'd forgotten to tell his mom the news. "Tess is at the hospital mom, and so is your new grandson." A smile crawled across his face at the thought of his tiny son.

His mother squealed louder than anyone should in an enclosed space. It bounced off the walls and burrowed into his eardrums. His hands flew to his ears in an attempt to block out her whooping of joy. He couldn't help but laugh at her. It had been a long time since he'd seen his mom so deliriously happy. All social graces were forgotten as she danced around and finally flung herself into his arms.

"Let's go and visit Tess and the baby." His mom said when she'd quietened down.

'I've only just left there and I have some things to do here first. But it might be nice if you went and kept her company until I get back there. I'm sure she'd be happy to see a smiling face."

"Say no more darling. Talk to you later, I love you, I'm a grandmother." She practically sang as she shuffled out the door and disappeared on the golf cart she'd arrived on.

Cole needed to sort out a nursery for this baby. He couldn't wait for Tess to do it. Who knew if she was even capable at this point? He started by packing a bag to take back with him later and then called in a heap of favors. 

Starting with Marigold.