Chapter 11: Young Night

Começar do início

"What?" she asked taking a moment to comprehend what he just told her. "I don't understand."

Hunter glanced at the group near the barbecue station, his siblings were laughing and talking with the pack members and students. "My siblings have given up on finding love, especially Gabriel. I did too, but then you showed up and that changed everything for me. I'm not fulfilling some obligation, but I am honouring our goddess Maya that chose us to be together."

Hailey's eyes stung from the threat of tears. She couldn't believe what Hunter was sharing to her so openly, he was so honest that it broke something inside of her. He shattered all defences she had put up to keep everyone at arms-length so she wouldn't be the cause of anyone's demise again. However, Hunter was sure of what he wanted and he told her exactly that he wouldn't back down from the bond they shared. He pulled her out of the heavy black waters that was drowning her for years, and she couldn't be more grateful and scared.

A shift occurred inside of Hunter and Hailey sensed it instantly because his eyes darkened grimly. "To ensure the safety of my family and the pack I have done things that others refused to do," he said very carefully so Hailey would make sure to listen to every word. "I'm not proud of those choices, but if I had the option to do them all over again, I would, because that would mean that my family is safe and that's just who I am." Hunter's jaw tightened and Hailey could tell that it was getting hard for him. "I didn't choose when I wanted my mate, but Maya did. And when I laid eyes on the girl chosen for me, all I could see was her pure heart. I couldn't ignore it and I didn't even try to because I knew deep down what I was looking for was you."

It was painful to see him like this. He opened his heart and showed her what he really desired and it was so pure, so true. Hailey vision blurred and hot tears fell from her eyes that filled up on their own.

"Don't cry... Hailey..." Hunter was flustered and spoke gently in her ear. "I didn't mean to make you cry."

Hailey smacked his shoulder. "Why'd you have to go and say such sweet things then," she scolded him and wiped her tears. "Ugh! I hate crying."

All Hunter could do was embrace her and let the torrent of her tears to soak through his shirt. He could feel her clench her fists, not knowing whether to be mad or to give up hope all together. Hailey knew that he could hear her silently crying, suffocating with each breath she took holding onto herself looking for strength. Hunter ran his fingers through her hair, time and time again, in an attempt to calm the silent war within her heart.

"Hunter!" a voice interrupted them.

"It's Vincent," whispered Hunter as he pulled away Hailey missed the feel of his body around hers almost instantly. "What is it?" he asked his brother as Hailey hid her face away because she knew her eyes would be red and puffy.

"I need you to start the grill and cook the meat," said Vincent, and then, he simply walked off without raising any questions, which she guessed Hunter had a part of. She could just imagine the glare he gave his brother to walk off quietly. Poor Vincent, he didn't even know what his fault was, thought Hailey.

"Are you alright?" asked Hunter.

Hailey's head hung low. "Just go," she groaned. "I'm too embarrassed to face you."

Hunter laughed; it was the sweetest and sexiest sound. "Come on, let's get some food in you," he said. "You'll need a lot of energy if I'm going to fuck you senseless."

Hailey tripped over her feet and gaped at Hunter. "What is wrong with you?"

Hunter smirked. "It's true," he admitted smugly.

"You're insane," Hailey laughed from disbelief.

Hunter grabbed her by the waist and helped her off the last step of the bleacher. "A smile suits you better," he said softly. "I'm sorry I made you cry."