third - tense

IF THERE'S ANYTHING Louise is starting to hate about her job with just one week in, it's doing coffee runs for her co-workers.

With the scorching heat and no sign of wind—no, but seriously, where's the freezing December air?— she's sweating under all that thick clothes she's wearing, which consists of the usual office attire added with a navy blue blazer, and scarf. It may not be a lot, but she gets pretty hot easily. Cold? Not really.

After passing out five cups of coffee to her co-workers, three are left. The next person she goes to is Melanie, the same person who sits in between Connor and her. It's only intentional that she leaves the last one for Connor; a habit she's gotten ever since last week.

As she reaches Melanie's table, she places the cup on it. "Here you go."

The two ladies never really had a long and direct conversation with each other, but they do say a few words here and there, sharing both of their ambivalence towards Connor whenever he says something, even though they're used to it.

Melanie gives her a smile and nod of appreciation. "Thanks."

"It's no problem," she waves her off, lying. All for the sake of being polite.

With a snort, she responds, "I know how annoying it is. Seriously though, I don't get why you're still doing this."

She shrugs. "I want coffee. I go out to get it. Then, people start telling me to get it for them as well. Plus, I'd rather not make a scene just over coffee."

Then, she feels someone's presence right next to her, and a familiar voice saying, "I can't believe you're still giving me the last cup of coffee."

Louise glances at the ivory skinned boy, and quips, "This is how far I'm going to go on this acquaintanceship we have."

He feigns a hurt look, clutching the side of his chest. "We're not friends yet?"

"No."

He hums, picking up his cup of coffee from her. "Baby steps, Lou. Baby steps."

"How many times have I told you not to—"

"So, Mel," he quickly says, ignoring her, "How is the—"

"Don't call me that," she cuts him off, a tiny smirk curving her lips.

Connor scoffs in disbelief, switching glances between the two girls in front of him. "I swear, you two are completely against nicknames. Why?"

Louise purses her lips, placing a palm on Melanie's desk, and leaning her weight on it. Then, she teases, "Nah, we're just against you."

He sneers fakely at her. "Oh, I see how this is. You two are just jealous."

Melanie arches an eyebrow, propping her elbows on her desk and resting her chin on her palm. "And why on earth would we be jealous?"

"Just because," he replies smugly before spinning on his heels, and striding back to his table.

Louise faces Melanie with a knowing look. "Think we can survive more than a month with him?"

Melanie presses her lips together, looking thoughtful. She wonders what she's thinking about, but her answer comes in a second. "I've had weirder friends," she answers with a hint of smile on her lips.

She used past tense.

"I doubt that."

Shaking her head, Melanie protests, "Nah, trust me. If you met them, you'd know. I have a friend who's equally annoying as him."