A New Lialta

Prince Thayer walked through the garden, his heart heavy. Eldra was leaving tomorrow. King Bormere was furious; Prince Thayer had taken away their means for a treaty with other nations. Lialta was crumbling, and in King Bormere's eyes, Prince Thayer destroyed their one chance to save it. But the kingdom was built on lies. Deaths were still happening through the countryside, even after the Behemoth was killed. He didn't want to live as a fraudulent king. He wanted to be honest with his people, not lie and blame a creature for crimes it didn't commit. He wanted everyone to be equal. And even though Eldra wouldn't be with him while he did it, he would do it for her. He understood why Eldra did not want to be with him, but he could never marry anyone else. His heart was hollow, but if he could love and serve the people of his kingdom well, then maybe it could be whole again.

A branch cracked behind him. He drew his sword and spun around. Eldra stood, her long dark hair flowing over her shoulders. She wore a teal blue dress embroidered with peonies along the hem, just like the ones she tended to so carefully in the garden. "Are you going to stab me?" She asked.

"No, you spooked me," Prince Thayer replied, sheathing his sword. "Are you all packed up?"

"No," Eldra replied. "I've tried, but I can't bring myself to."

Prince Thayer's heart skipped a beat. "Are you still going?"

"I don't think so," Eldra stammered. Prince Thayer's stomach leaped. "I'm different, and I've always been judged poorly for that. Most people will not think my magic is good. It has been used for destruction in that past."

"You have never used it for destruction," Prince Thayer replied. "You've only used it for good, unless I asked otherwise of you."

"I know, and that is why if I am going to be a princess, you have to listen to me. I will not use my magic to wage wars, to kill or uproot people from their homes," Eldra said.

"I will never ask you to. From now on, I will never ask you to use your magic again."

Eldra walked to him and took his strong hands in hers. "Then I will marry you, Thayer, because I love you too. Because you fight for the ones you love. You believe this kingdom can change and believe in equality for all people. We can make that happen, as long as we make our own decisions, not just act however King Bormere pleases," Eldra replied.

Prince Thayer nodded, his heart flooding with joy. He leaned in and kissed her, warmth spreading all over his body. Her mouth was soft, and she tasted like the feel of sunlight on his skin. He had never been happier.

Then he heard the cock of rifle. King Bormere stood behind Eldra, a loaded gun pointed at her head. "Step away from the witch," King Bormere snarled.

"Dad, please don't do this," Prince Thayer begged. He held her close to him, and tried to step in front of her, but his father tucked his pointer finger around the trigger.

"Do not try to protect her or I will shoot. I will not allow a heathen to dirty the Emmerson family line. This witch will destroy our throne," King Bormere replied.

"I promise, I don't want to hurt anyone," Eldra replied, turning to face the king. "I understand magic has been used to harm others. But we have always been harmed because we are different. You've never given us a chance."

King Bormere shook his head. "A witch killed Violet. I will kill all of you before any one of your kind take the throne. And I will continue to kill you, one by one, until you are vanquished."

"The Queen was not killed by a magician," Jarvis said as he walked in the garden. "She was sick and she died."

King Bormere's shoulders shook. "She met with a witch and she died a week later. How do you explain that?"

"Magic cannot create illness in humans. If you knew anything about us, you would know that," Eldra replied.

A shot rang out. Prince Thayer dove, knocking Eldra to the ground. Pain seared in his shoulder, and red blossomed over his shirt sleeve. A vine from the garden wall snaked itself down and circled itself around the king, binding his arms and legs. His rifle dropped to the ground. "Witchcraft! You must unhand me now!" King Bormere declared.

"I am not doing it," Eldra insisted. "You just shot your own son, don't you have more to be worried about?"

"I'm doing it," Jarvis replied. "In fact, Bormere did not know that Violet was a witch."

King Bormere's face paled. "You're wrong."

"She never told you, and once it was clear that Thayer did not inherit any magic, she kept it a secret, waiting for a time where she could help our people. She died before she had the chance. I will not let that happen again," Jarvis said. "Under the law, any person who attempts murder on an innocent subject must face trial. I have been trying to catch you. I know you are responsible of the deaths of the young witch and wizards on the outskirts of Immerson. There are two witnesses here today to back me up. I am stripping you of your title and giving it to your son."

Jarvis waved his hands, and the dirt swallowed the weapon up, the rifle gone in an instant. Jarvis cut the end of the vine, and used wind to carry a screaming King Bormere out of the garden.

Eldra pulled Prince Thayer into her arms. She could feel the weight of the pain in his shoulder.

"You saved my life," she whispered.

"You saved mine first," Prince Thayer replied, wincing.

"Love making you a little corny is it?" Thayer blushed, and Eldra did too. "Don't stop, I like it. Now hold still." Eldra put her hand on his arm, and his shoulder was suddenly so hot, it felt like it was on fire. The feeling left after a few seconds, and when she pulled away, his wound was healed.

Prince Thayer was stunned. "You can heal people?"

"I wasn't honest with you about everything I can do," Eldra admitted. "I didn't want the king to know how powerful I was."

"Of course, I wouldn't be either if I was you." He sat up and kissed her gently, but she held on to him tight, and they stayed entangled together for a few moments. "I could stay here forever," he whispered.

"Let's just be together, today. We can tell the everyone else tomorrow," Eldra suggested. Prince Thayer pulled the small box out of his pocket, and Eldra held out her hand as he slipped Queen Violet's ring onto her finger.

Prince Thayer helped her up and they walked back toward the castle. Tomorrow, they would announce their engagement to the kingdom, the first step in uniting all people and forging a better Lialta. But today, he was going to enjoy spending time with the one he loved.

THE END