A Surprise in the Garden

Prince Thayer sipped his coffee, hoping to soothe his headache from drinking too much the night before. He blamed Eldra. Princess Kira sat across from him and looked like she was going to cry at any moment. King Bormere and Jarvis sat paces away in the large castle dining room, far enough that he knew they were listening but pretending not to.

"Did you enjoy your time last night?" Prince Thayer asked.

"It was fine," Princess Kira replied softly, her fingers pulling down the sleeves of her purple cotton dress over her writsts. She let her blonde hair fall in front of her face as she took small bites of a muffin.

"What would you have rather done instead? I don't mean to be frank, but you look miserable." Princess Kira laughed at his outlandish remark. She smiled, putting her hair behind her ears.

"I'd rather be at home." She looked down again, lips pursed like she wanted to say something else.

"You live by the ocean, right? Do you like to swim?"

"No," she replied. "I enjoy baking."

"What do you think of that muffin?" He asked.

"It's fine. I enjoy baking because of who I do it with," she added. "And he is not here. So I will never be happy."

"Okay, this is enough. I can't marry you," Prince Thayer said. "Go home. You clearly love someone else. And that's fine." Princess Kira looked like she had been hit by a rogue cart. "I won't tell your parents why. We will just say it didn't work out. Pack up your things, there will be a carriage out front in an hour."

Princess Kira hugged him across the table, to Prince Thayer's surprise. "Thank you," she whispered, and ran out of the room. King Bormere banged his scepter on the floor.

"You had no right to send her home," he yelled, his cheeks reddened.

"What was I supposed to do? There are still two other women, you'll get your treaty," Prince Thayer mumbled.

"Your insolence will not be tolerated, you have a responsibility-"

"To my country, I know," Prince Thayer said. "I will fill it. Just let me have the morning off, I'll meet with the Magistrate Katrina for lunch." Prince Thayer left before King Bormere could tell him otherwise. He needed to get some fresh air.

-----

"The peonies are beautiful," Nobleman Eustace said. Eldra was happy that he noticed them. They were her finest work and took her the entire winter to cultivate. "They would be a wonderful addition to Gatewaters." Nobleman Eustace oversaw Vardad, a small village on the southern tip of Lialta, where the skills of a witch were more accepted than they were in the capital. Besides, Eldra had always wanted to live by water.

"I'd like to visit Gatewaters some time," she replied, pruning back some of the peony branches that had died off. Nobleman Eustace had been up to visit the castle a few times in the past year and he always managed to find time to visit Eldra in the garden.

"We would love to have you. As long as Prince Thayer gives you leave," he added.

"Leave for what?" Prince Thayer asked as he walked around the corner. Eldra blushed; she had planned to ask Prince Thayer while they were alone. Prince Thayer couldn't mask the surprise on his face. Eldra could hear his emotions too; not like she could with animals, but more of a hint of a deep feeling. He was disappointed. She should have told him sooner.

"Nobleman Eustace would like me to come visit Gatewaters, his home in Vardad, for a few days. I could fly there easily enough. I would not need to use a royal carriage," Eldra said.

"I didn't realize the two of you were on visiting terms," Prince Thayer replied.

"I have been seeing Eldra up here at the castle for a few months now, your highness," Nobleman Eustace said.

"I see." Prince Thayer stared at the rose bush to his left, examining the petals closely. "Eldra never told me. I grant you leave as long as you both join Empress Adele and me for dinner tonight."

"It would be an honor, your highness," Nobleman Eustace replied.

"It's settled," Prince Thayer picked a rose. "For my lunch date," he added, and walked out the way he came. Eldra seethed... Prince Thayer never took flowers from the garden. He knew how much it irritated her.

"Excuse me one moment," Eldra said and she hurried after the prince. He had already made it to the bottom of the palace steps. "Prince Thayer!"

"You should be with Noblemen Eustace," Prince Thayer's face was flat. He was so frustrating sometimes. "I didn't know you had an admirer."

"I didn't realize I had to have your permission," Eldra snapped.

"You don't. I thought you would have told me because we are friends." Prince Thayer folded his arms, a fighting stance. He was upset. Eldra couldn't figure out why. "I look forward to getting to know Eustace tonight."

"Good. Don't steal a rose from the garden again. You know I don't like that."

"Fine. I'll go buy them at the market from now on." Prince Thayer walked into the castle without another word.