Chapter Four

A/N:

Ah, angst. Isn't it amazing?

P.S. I had no idea how to write the hospital scene so if there are any mistakes about what actually happens in a hospital with a cardiac arrest patients then please correct them. I just kinda followed what happens in most ER shows 😂

Enjoy!

*****

"Sounds like you should have gone after her." Pepper muttered sending her boss an arched brow. Tony pressed his lips together.

He knew she was right but that doesn't mean he was going to admit it.

"And done what? Argued and dug myself a deeper grave then before?" Tony scoffed shaking his head. "This is Arabella we're talking about."

"Not the Arabella you knew, she's grown up and changed. You're not eighteen anymore. Find her and apologize for starting an argument." Pepper answered, waving her pen in the air like she was trying to underline her point.

"She hasn't changed that much."

"You asked me for help, I'm giving you advice. Take it."

Tony glowered. He knew she was right, once again. "What hospital is she at?"

Pepper instantly brightened. "St. Augustine's. She works ER so you might catch her for a brief moment."

"I'll be back."

"Don't be a jerk, Tony!"

"Yeah, yeah." He waved a hand in the air as he walked towards the stairs. Pepper smiled, shook her head, and hunched back over her work.

****

Bella's head snapped over to the nurses station, another gurney was rolling in, and bolted over.

"Details?" She looked the patient over for injuries. Her hand immediately snapped the buttons of his shirt open.

"Called in about chest pain. He went into cardiac arrest on the way here. We've been doing CPR for a good ten minutes and we've already given him two hundred volts," The EMT answered, quickly moving the guy to the hospital bed with the help of her coworkers.

Bella pressed her stethoscope to his chest. Nothing. Pointing to her nurse she said, "AED 300 volts."

"On it."

"Get the family here just in case. And find any medical records if possible," she called to another nurse while running through a CPR circuit. "Did he say anything about previous heart problems?"

"No. We have no info other than a address and a name right now. Carrie's getting it all printed," The second nurse stated. He quickly took the clipboard from the nurse behind the counter and scanned over it. "Uh, Gary Miller. Wife and two kids. There's no history of heart disease or any other medical issues."

Bella let out a sigh and grabbed the paddles after receiving the word that they were charged from her nurse.

"Let's do this," she breathed rubbing them together before pressing them against the patients chest. "Clear!"

A shock went the his body but it didn't do anything. Bella pulled them off and tried again before resuming CPR one they got a faint heartbeat.

"Doctor Laker, his families here," the CNA called from outside the little room.

"Take them to the waiting room, please!"

"There's also someone here looking for you."

Bella frowned and pressed the paddles back against the patients chest once more. "Clear!"