Chapter 2: Breakfast at Gowthorpe's

Start from the beginning

"Apparently," Nathaniel replied with a wry smile. "We were both quite foxed last night. I think I fell into the first available room I could find."

His friend chuckled. "It was a rather good night, wasn't it?"

Crisis averted, they returned to their tea. It had been a foolish thing to taunt her like that. He really needed to learn to control his impulses better. Fortunately, Gowthorpe didn't seem to suspect anything untoward had happened. Which was the truth. As long as one ignored the fact that Nathaniel had pulled her down onto the bed. His friend might take exception to that. In his defence, he had been half-asleep and thought he was still dreaming when the alluring scent of rosewater tickled his nose.

A footman brought over a plate for his breakfast, interrupting his wandering thoughts. As he ate, he looked over at Angel. She was focusing on her tea, but now and then he caught her throwing him a furtive glance. Maybe she was debating whether he would tell her brother about their unfortunate meeting after all. He would never be so foolish, but he didn't mind watching her squirm.

Gowthorpe questioned his sister about her visit while he finished up his scrambled eggs, leaving Nathaniel to watch them in silence. He couldn't help but wonder why she was so eager to come to London that she'd travel without the comfort of her family.

"I assume you will be at your sister's coming-out ball tomorrow evening, Pensington?" Gowthorpe asked, bringing his attention back to Nathaniel.

"It's not as if I have a choice," he said with a look of mock disgust. "I never thought having a sister of marriageable age would be so much work on my part."

Gowthorpe laughed. "Be glad only one of them is! Imagine if you had all three out at once."

"Aunt Jane already has plans for the younger ones, I'm sure," Nathaniel muttered, not even wanting to consider the fact that he would have to go through it all two more times. It wasn't that he hated attending social events, but the sheer number his aunt was asking him to accompany his sister to this season was beyond reasonable.

"Angel, did you bring a ball gown, or are they all coming down with our family?"

"I believe my maid packed one or two." She set down her cup of tea. "We haven't had our coming-out ball yet though. It's not until after Joan and our aunt and uncle arrive, so I probably shouldn't attend any functions just yet."

"Hogwash," Gowthorpe exclaimed, waving away her excuses. "I have presented you at court. The coming-out ball is a formality at best, and a glorified meat market at worst. Of course, you can attend events before it."

She looked hopeful, a smile playing at the corners of her mouth as her eyes twinkled. Nathaniel swallowed as he realised she wasn't just pretty. She was beautiful.

"Do you think?" she said, then her face fell. "I don't know... Joan will be cross if I was allowed to attend balls without her. She was already throwing a tantrum when Aunt Christine agreed I could travel early."

"Our cousin throws tantrums about everything," Gowthorpe said. "Do not let it bother you. While our aunt and uncle have been taking care of you since I reside in London, I am your legal guardian, and I say you can attend this ball with me tomorrow. It's Pensington's sister Jessica's ball. His family is a lot nicer than he lets on and I'm sure you will get along splendidly."

"They really aren't that bad," Nathaniel agreed. "Well, the youngest is more feral than domesticated, but she won't be allowed to attend."

Angel stared at him, and he grinned. "I beg your pardon, I make them sound terrible. Truly, they are not." Most of the time. He loved his family dearly, but he was not blind to their faults, just like they were not blind to his.

A footman entered the dining room, presenting Nathaniel with a note on a silver tray. "My lord, this was just delivered for you."

"Thank you." He took the note and unfolded it. After quickly skimming the words, he stood. "My aunt is requesting my presence to help with preparations for tomorrow's ball. Possibly to ensure that my sister does not lock herself in the library before it is time."

"Does she not wish to attend her ball?" Angel asked.

"Probably not," he admitted with a wry smile. "My sister is what some might call a bluestocking and would rather read than find a husband."

"She sounds like a reasonable young lady to me," Angel said pertly, making him laugh.

"I do believe our sisters might get along," Gowthorpe said with a chuckle. "We will see you tomorrow night."

Nathaniel nodded and, after a bow, he followed the footman out to the hallway. It wasn't until after he'd shrugged into his greatcoat and the butler had gone to open the front door that he realised Angel had followed him. She came up to him, staring up at him with her large green eyes.

"Yes?" he prompted when she didn't immediately speak.

She cast a nervous glance towards the butler by the door, but he didn't appear to be listening. Leaning a little closer, she said quietly, "I thought we weren't telling anyone about—" Her words stalled for a moment as her cheeks stained pink. "About this morning. And yet you told James straight away."

"I apologise for that. It slipped out."

She crossed her arms over her chest. "Can I trust you to keep it to yourself from now on? I don't wish to create a scandal on my first day in London."

He chuckled. "You won't. It won't happen again. I would be in equal trouble if your brother was to find out. As we said, let us pretend it never happened."

There was a slight quiver of her lips as if she was holding back a smile, but she nodded. "All forgotten," she murmured, her gaze avoiding his.

Nathaniel bowed again before exiting through the door the butler held open for him. His aunt had sent a carriage for him, so he jumped in and sat down on the bench. With a last glance at his friend's London townhouse, he wondered why Gowthorpe had neglected to tell him his sister was quite beautiful. Definitely an oversight on Gowthorpe's behalf, and a fact he wished he had not realised. It wouldn't do to be attracted to his friend's sister. Especially not as he had sworn off anything resembling love and romance. He had better stay away from Angel Grafton. Something which would not be easy considering the number of events they were both likely to attend. But he would have to make an effort to avoid her. For both of their sakes.  

~~~~~~