Chapter Twenty-Seven

"You know Harry won't like it if you do this." Kingsley narrowed his eyes at him and Draco's face burned. His proposal to go to Azkaban alone wasn't his greatest idea, but it was the only one that would surely get him more information.

"I know. But it has to be done. Another death, possibly more that we aren't aware of, something has to work. I know Rodolphus is hesitating because Harry's always been there. I'll take your pin, the one you offered before, as proof. You can get me in, can't you?"

"Of course, but I still don't see why you aren't going to tell Harry. Let him use his cloak."

"I've got to do this alone, Kingsley. Rodolphus would know, I think. He may not seem very bright, but he's cunning and... I've got to do this."

"Can you do it now?"

"Right now? Wouldn't you need to speak to someone at the prison to set it up?"

"I've got them on alert at all times. They'll be ready."

"Okay. Yes. I can go now."

"You can leave directly from here and return directly back." Kingsley stood from behind his desk and handed forward his Ministers pin. "I hope you get your answers this time, Draco."

"Me too." He turned the pin over in his hand, the double Ms over the name 'Shacklebolt.' He hoped it would be enough. He closed his eyes and pictured the dark cell where Rodolphus was. He turned on his heel and as soon as he opened his eyes, he was inches from the cell bars. He kicked them loudly, still angry from the last meeting where he had busted his nose.

"Rodolphus! Get up!" There was a scuffling noise and then he came up from the other side of the cot. "What are you doing on the floor?"

"Whatever I can to keep from going insane. You promised to get me out of here, but you lied! You and your lackey..." he trailed off, looking around the hall behind him. "Where's the other guy."

"Didn't need him. I'm strong enough to get around on my own. I went to Stackpole. I found the house. But no Rabastan. Tell me why." Rodolphus sat on the bed and looked him up and down. Draco swallowed and took a few shallow breaths, hoping he couldn't see the desperation, hoping he couldn't hear it in his voice.

"He wasn't there?"

"Don't play stupid. Where is he? If you're really serious about getting out of here, you better hand over some information, good information. You see, I have the power to get you out. I told you once already I was close to the ones you're trying for. I'm even close with the Minister." He pulled out the pin and handed it forward. "See, now I could get you out on my own, or I could get him to get you out, pardon, freedom, all the works. But you've got to start helping me. I've got things to care of, and I can't do that without his help."

"He's in London." He turned the pin over again in his hand. "He stays around the outskirts of Diagon Alley, probably watching the buildings like the hospital and the Ministry. I don't know where exactly, it's been so long. There's a pub, The Snake's Lair or Den, something like that, filthy Muggle place, but he'd skulk around there, looking for targets, something to keep him busy. It's a central location to all of the places he's likely to go."

"You'd better be right. Will he look the same?"

"He changes. It's a thing he can do, kind of like a Metamorphagus. You'd have to watch very carefully to know it's him."

"Fine." He didn't mention the cloak that was always present on the surveillance they had gotten so far.

"So, am I out now? I've given you everything, Draco."

"You've given me a bit, and this is the first time you've really given me anything at all. But I'll remember it, if it works for me, I'll be back again soon, and the next time you see me, you'll be out of here."