Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

  "Rabbit needs you for something. Don't wanna keep him waiting," Helga said.

"Yes, ma'am..." I nodded.

   I stole a quick glance back at Aiden before Helga pulled me out the room. He didn't even move from his spot or look at us.

————

Oswald was busy with something despite him wanting to see me. I had to wait for him to be done with whatever he was doing, luckily there was breakfast waiting for me. It was strawberry waffles with an egg white omelette, I almost didn't believe the food in front of me was real.

As I ate, Helga stood by keeping an eye on me. She didn't talk much. All the noise came from Oswald's grumbled swears, occasional cries, and the mechanical tools he was using. Bendy was no where to be seen.

"Allllrighty then!" Oswald was finally done. "Helga, send the boy on up! YYIKES!" a spark went off up above. I almost laughed.

   "Go on then. Behave yourself," Helga told me.

   I nodded and wasted no time going up those spiral stairs. My heart started to beat hard, it almost felt like it was in my throat. At the top, Oswald was angrily screwing something into a person lying on a table—no, it wasn't a person it was an android.

   "Pretty neat, huh?" Oswald grinned. "Once that toon scientist is hyped up, we'll be having him make more of these! Enough for every park!"

   "What is it...?"

   "Why it's a Cast Member! New and improved! These guys'll be giving the tours, driving the monorails, telling guests about Disney and animation history, the whole shebang!"

   If all the Cast Members were being replaced with androids, what was going to happen to them? I started thinking about Frida and all the other Cast Members my parents and I were friends with. I gripped my shirt and swallowed.

   "W-What about the Imagineers...? You need them to operate the rides and audio animatronics, don't you?" I said.

   "That's exactly why I sent for ya!"

   Oswald came and put an arm around me. I tensed up.

   "See, Charlie... your dad is one o' the best Imagineers I've ever seen. Smart guy too! I know where you get it from! Him and a small team would be enough to take care of our parks! But... they ain't all that ready to listen..."

   I caught on.

   "You want me to convince my dad to do what you say..."

   "That's right! Have a gold star!"

   He smacked a star sticker on my shirt. I hate those cheap reward system things they'd use in grade schools, but I didn't say anything. Oswald went to a chalkboard to write some math looking things down, continuing to talk.

"See, even after us toons are in control, we still wanna make the public happy! It'd sure be a shame if the happiest place on earth were to shut down... its why we need smart guys like you and your dad, Charlie!"

"Are you just gonna keep up here forever...?"

"We gotta have our staff close by at all times, o' course! What's so bad about movin' in, huh? I know you'll love it! Tell ya what, if you comply, I'll let you and your dad live in the Cinderella Suite!"

I got caught off guard for a second. The Cinderella Suite was a big, fancy hotel room inside the Cinderella Castle. It was crazy expensive and couldn't be booked—only way to stay was by winning contests. The room was originally going to be for Walt Disney himself. I've always wanted to see inside that suite...

"N-No, wait..." I shook my head, "I can't—what about school?"

"Some of the characters here make the best teachers!" Oswald grinned.

"My older brother? My mommy...?"

"We can always send some people for them!"

He really thought of everything. It was hard to argue at this point...

"Oswald? It's Callaghan!"

Below the platform I saw Professor Callaghan. Behind him, rhino guards were carrying in huge buckets of ink.

"We've finished collecting the ink, shall we begin the transport?"

"Oh buddy boy! Woulda look at that!" Oswald jumped of the platform and flew down with his ears. I sat at the edge and yelled down,

   "Where are my friends?! Are they ok?!"

   Callaghan made a face at me, one that looked remorseful. When Oswald landed by him, he crouched down and exchanged a few words with the rabbit, quietly so I couldn't hear. I yelled again in alarm.

   "What happened?! You bastard, what happened to them?!"

   "Just some technical difficulties, buddy!" Oswald said. "They'll be here soon, I promise!"

   I don't believe him. I pushed myself back from the edge and balled up, preparing to cry again.

   They're all in this mess because of me...