Chapter Nineteen

Charlie's POV

I'm sure I looked alarming to the imagineers when I ran by; a little boy red faced and crying while screaming his friends' name at the top of his lungs.

I know it was Mickey that probably told Bendy something he wasn't ready to hear, but I couldn't help but feel like it was my fault. I should've known something could've gone wrong, Mickey probably wasn't much like he was in the 20s. Bendy couldn't evolve just like that...

   "Ah!"

   I tripped while I was running and went falling to the ground, but I didn't get up. Tears were welling in my eyes and splashing on the concrete in front of me and I was on the verge of screaming.

   'It's all my fault, it's all my fault, it's all my fault,'

   I felt a hand touch my head. I looked up and mentally groaned. Aiden of all people was on a knee, staring at me with a silent look. I rubbed my eyes and broke eye contact.

   "What happens now...? What'll you do with me now...?"

   "Where's Bendy?"

   "I don't know..."

   "C'mon, kid, I need to know,"

   "Why?!" I snapped. "What has he done, why are you people out to get him?! H-How would you like it if bad people were hunting for you?!"

   I was crying more as I spoke. Aiden put his hands on my shoulders and started shushing me.

"Hey, hey, hey, calm down ok? I'm not part of that, I promise! I'm with you..."

I kept rubbing my face as it got wetter and wetter, like I was any normal child crying because something didn't go their way.

"Wh-What do you mean...?"

"My great grandfather worked at Joey Drew Studios. He helped create Bendy and all those characters. When I was little he talked about it all the time, and how my dad and I had to keep the studio alive..."

"What happened...?"

"My great grandfather died recently. My dad didn't believe a lot of the stuff, but I did! I—hold on,"

Aiden pulled a laptop bag at his side open and took out an old looking notebook along with a bunch of papers with scribbles and writing all over them.

"This was my great grandfathers, I studied this whole thing!"

"What is it...?" I was skeptical.

"It's formulas for creating toons, making artificial organs, all of that! There's even information on Bendy's creation,"

Aiden let me look at the papers and I flipped through them, unable to believe what I was looking at. One paper looked like a diagram or anatomy chart of Bendy with notes written next to all the drawings. At the bottom left corner was a messy signature, I could only make out the first name; Henry.

"So, what are you telling me, what's this for?"

"See, every now and then Bendy has... issues where he goes crazy and melts a lot. He can't stay stable forever, so whenever he started losing it his creators fixed him until the cycle started again. I was given the task of fixing Bendy—if this isn't done something really bad could happen," He explained.

"What kind of bad...?"

Aiden didn't say anything. He took the notebook and opened it up to a page to show me. I read over the messy hand writing, my eyes slowly going wide.

"... Bendy can... become a monster..."

Aiden solemnly nodded.

"I don't know much... but I do know some of the people in that studio were really sick in the head. And Bendy was used for sick things. If I don't fix him soon he might do something insane..."

   "How insane are we talking...?"

   "How good is your knowledge with world history?"

   "My teachers say it's like I was actually there."

   "What's the bloodiest war you can think of?"

   World War 2. I didn't have to ask anything else. This guy was serious, that's for sure.

  "So who were those other people hunting us?" I asked.

  "I think they work for a rival company or something. My great grandfather told me how some people used to try and steal the rights to Bendy in the past,"

   "What about that girl with blue hair?"

   "That was Callie. She's an android I built." He held up a hand as I was about to say something. "Don't even try to disagree, you've been spending the past few days with an ink demon and Disney characters for heck's sake,"

   "... That's fair."

   "I built Callie to track artificial life like Bendy but she isn't working right, so I had to put her away somewhere. I'm sorry, I bet she was a little creepy to you guys,"

"It's ok. I actually did think she was a real girl..."

"Well then, I believe Bendy will snap around Saturday so if you find him before then," Aiden handed me a card with a phone number, "give me a call,"

"Ok..." I pocketed the card.

Aiden tousled my hair.

"I'll see you around, kid,"

He stood and took off in a run away from Pandora. Without much else to do, I decided to go back to that restaurant; maybe Bendy finally calmed down and was waiting there for me. I rubbed the last few tears from my face and started backtracking my way to the restaurant, but once I got back an unfortunate surprise was awaiting me.

Dad stood there, Bendy hanging under his arm. He looked at me with a face I didn't see often, Bendy gave an awkward wave along with a smile.

"Hi Dada..." I said quietly, hoping cuteness would make him go easier on me.

"Charles," Damnit.

"Am I in trouble...?"

"We'll talk when we get home."

The words every child dreaded; words that meant you were in for at least three hours of your parents yelling at you while you sat there knowing this was a battle you couldn't win, and that was just if you're lucky.

Before I knew it, Dad was carrying me under his other arm and he was taking Bendy and me to his car where Mama was waiting. I didn't bother arguing or explaining myself to Dad, I decided not to say anything until he started talking. To my surprise, Bendy wasn't talking either, and I thought there was a lot he had to say to me. Maybe we'd get some words in later.

When Mama saw us she screamed and immediately grabbed me from Dad to keep me away from Bendy. I quickly told her she didn't have to be scared and that Bendy didn't hurt me; it was like when Lilo first got Stitch and he freaked Nani out. It took some convincing from Dad, but we were finally driving home with me in my carseat and Bendy squished in an empty water bottle. I could tell he wasn't very happy with being in a tight space again.

Mama and Dad were quiet all ride, and I didn't blame them. I probably broke some kind of rule bringing Bendy to the parks. Rather than ask again if I was in trouble or start crying, I balled up in my seat and stared silently out my window.

The best I can do now is mentally prepare myself for what would happen once we got home.