Chapter Two

Chapter 2

The reception was beautiful. It wasn't extravagant and over bearing, but it was small and intimate and I think that's what made it all the much better. There was so much love and happiness radiating off of Dad and Liz that it almost felt like I was the lucky groom getting married today.

I didn't see Memphis anywhere, not that I knew what he looked like or anything, but I guess I was sort of looking for a depressed looking kid, hanging out in the back. Dad said that he asked him to be a groomsman but refused because he didn't want to stand at the front of the alter with a large amount of people looking at him; which in my eyes is understandable. I just wish he would have made his presence known so I could see who he was. Maybe Mom and Dad haven't told him about my proposal.

Ugh. Of course they haven't; Dad is the only one that knows about it and I was supposed to ask Mom today. Well, I best get on with it. Taking a glass of wine, I head towards the happy couple and pull them aside to a more private area where we can speak.

It's such a beautiful sight seeing my Dad happy and smiling like a love-sick puppy, so once I pulled them aside, I immediately congratulated them on their marriage. Making a joke or two about how my Dad practically begged Liz to marry him for a whole year, which of course earned me a slap upside the head for making my old man look obsessive. Through the whole thing though, he kept his smile and for that, I am grateful of Liz; she makes my Dad happy and that's all I could ever ask for, after everything he's been through with my Mom, he definitely deserves happiness.

"So... I sort of spoke to Dad about this last night and he was a little weary, but I think this is a good idea. In the end, it is up to you and Memphis so..." I drifted off, feeling rather nervous. What if she says no? I couldn't take that.

"Memphis? What's this about Ryan? Look, I don't know how much you know about my son, but I will NOT send him to a shrink. So he may be a little violent and aggressive and he doesn't like to speak and-"

"WHAT?" She thought I want to send Memphis to a shrink? Is she crazy? What the hell! "Mom, no! What the hell is wrong with you! Why would I try send Memphis to a shrink when one, I have no right in saying whether he should or shouldn't see one and two, I almost tore the head off my own?"

That's right, do you remember when I was talking about my Mom, thinking I was troubled? Well, she really did send me to see a shrink and I absolutely hated it. I don't see how they're supposed to help you! I mean all they do is get you to lay on an uncomfortable as fuck chair slash bed thing, and then ask you a million and a half questions. Then when you ask them a question, they turn their answer into a question for you to answer?!

What's the point of a shrink anyway; all you do is tell them what's going on in your mind. How is that supposed to help? So you get a few unspoken things off your chest big whoop! It's not like you can go to them for guidance because that's not what they're there for, they're there to hear you out. Well Mom, I don't know if my shrink, the ass hole that he was, ever told you, but all I wanted was to be away from YOU! Instead what do you do? Be a slut and fuck him during my 2 o'clock session that time I got sick and refused to go!

Happy thoughts, think happy thoughts Ryan! Happy thoughts, happy thoughts, Memphis! You need an answer from Liz, think about that!

"You called me Mom?" Liz whispered, more to herself than anyone. Wasting no time, I wrapped my arms around her petite frame and engulfed her in a warm hug. How could she not think I'd call her Mom? First off, she's just married my Dad and secondly, whether she knows it or not, I've always thought of her as a motherly figure, I mean with my real Mom being a certified skank, I started looking up to Liz as a Mom type thing. Even if I've only met her a few times, due to my busy schedule.

"Of course I called you Mom silly! That's what you are." I re-assured her, whilst rubbing her back. She pulled out of the hug and looked up at me with watery eyes. "Thank you Ryan, you're like a son to me as well." She said so sincerely I almost burst out crying. Gosh, this is such a love fest, tomorrow I'm hitting up the gym. Testosterone, testosterone, testosterone!

"Aw, that's sweet, thanks Mom; but can we get back to Memphis now?"

Mom wiped her face and took a deep breath, then replaced the sincere affectionate face with a confused one. "Okay, so what is your idea?"

Deep breaths. You can do this Ryan!

Why am I so damned nervous! Just ask her, 'How would you feel if Memphis came to live with me?' It's on the tip of your tongue Ryan say it!

"IwantMemphistocomeandlivewithmewhileyou'reonyourhoneymoon."

"What?" Liz spluttered. Okay, I guess I'd say the same thing too when some idiot is too nervous to put together one simple sentence and ends up rambling incoherent things as if they were speech impaired.

Taking a deep breath, I started again. "I want Memphis to come and live with me, while you're on your honeymoon." There, I said it nice and slow, she should have be able to understand that right? I mean I said it so slow that I put a snail's slowness to shame. So if she understood it then why am I greeted by silence? Well, not silence, the music in the background and the sound of our family members mingling is still there, but silence among the three of us is what I meant. Yeah.

Nothing. Be patient Ryan.

After being patient; still nothing.

FIVE HOURS LATER!

Just joking. I am seriously thinking about waving my hand in front of Liz's face and being all like, 'Hey! Earth to planet Zoned Out, I want your son to live with me while you're on your damn honey moon, what do you think?', but Dad wouldn't like that, plus I'm asking a favour of her, so I wouldn't want to make fun of her or make her feel uncomfortable. No matter how uncomfortable she is making me feel right now.

It feels like centuries later before she finally musters up a reply and to be honest, It SO wasn't worth the thousand year wait. Hold on, a century is a hundred. Scratch that, it so wasn't worth the hundred year wait! Yeah, that's better.

"Why?"

There they go again with that damned question!

Why Ryan? Why? Why do you want to have Memphis at your house with you? Why are you even asking to have my son at your house? Why? Why Why WHY?!

I DON'T FUCKING KNOW! Is what I want to say, but I can't lash out at Liz, I have to be in her good books, she has to WANT to let me take her son home with me. Jeez, that sounds so wrong. But anyways, off topic Ryan, get on with it!

"I don't know okay... I just feel like I need to take him in. If he doesn't want to stay at my house, then I'll stay at your house, if he doesn't want me in the house, then I'll visit every day just to make sure he's okay. I don't know what it is, but I have this feeling that I just need to be there for him and I don't know it just feels right."

By the end of my explanation, my eyes are glued to my feet. Giving her a few moments to mull things over I finally look up to see Liz, deep in thought but with faint smile forming on her face.

"I sort of know what you mean, I don't really know how I feel about this, but I guess we'll ask Memphis later tonight. We don't leave for our honeymoon until tomorrow, so how 'bout you come over later tonight and we'll ask him then okay?"

Nodding eagerly, I wrap Liz up in another big hug and spin her around.

"Okay, now show me which one is Memphis. Because I don't even know what he looks like, how old is he anyway? I looked at the kids table, but I didn't really know what I was looking for so I sort of gave up. Is he tall? Does he still go to school?" I rambled on, too excited to hold in my eagerness.

Laughing a little, Liz rolled her eyes and Dad moved up behind her and placed a comforting hand on the small of her back.

"That's Memphis over there." She pointed out into the distance.

I turned around and followed my Mom's finger. There on the other end of the space she was directing my gaze to, sat a sex God, knocking back shot after shot.

Well fuck.

------

VOTE - COMMENT - FAN <3