CHAPTER XIV. investigation

Start from the beginning

"Jewel? Is that really you?" Padme questioned, my smile forming as she embraced me soon after.

"The one and only," I whispered, letting go of her afterward and holding her shoulders to calm her nerves. She did look much more different than when I remembered her back when I saw her for the first time. Much more mature, stronger, and radiated a lot of wisdom for her age.

"My, you have changed. You've grown up much more back when I remember you were still a Padawan." 

"It's been quite a while, Padme. I greatly appreciate your unwavering commitment since taking on the position of Senator."

Her cheerful expression gradually dimmed as she directed her attention towards the others and offered a sincere apology. Redirecting the conversation toward the main issue now: the details surrounding the explosion on the landing platform. 

"Is there any idea who was behind the attack?" she asked.

"Our intelligence points to the disgruntled spice miners," Master Windu answered. "On the moons of Naboo."

"Well, I had a suspicion that someone could have been involved. Perhaps Master Kell might have the answer."

Everyone's attention shifted towards me, recognizing my role in assisting with these situations.

I was captivated by the sight of Master Yoda's lightsaber, which emitted a shiny aura on it. He once was a Master himself and taught a certain student of his under his wing.

"Count Dooku," I stated, eyeing Padme as she nodded in agreement while the others were taken aback by the impression.

Master Yoda grinned approvingly at my response, leaving the others puzzled as they tried to comprehend how he could possibly be involved in the situation.

"He was a Jedi once, Senator Amidala. He wouldn't assassinate anyone. It's not his character to do so," Master Windu said, making some facts to defend Count Dooku.

"He's a political idealist," Ki-Adi-Mundi also chimed in. "Not a murderer."

The plot started to intensify as the others discussed the possibility of Dooku's involvement, suggesting that it would be wise to increase security around Padme. Palpatine offered to enhance the level of security provided to Padme.

"Please! I don't want any more guards, Chancellor!" Padme begged as Palpatine took notice of her pleading.

"I realize all too well that additional security might be disruptive for you, but perhaps... Someone in your familiarity could be wise, like Master Kell, for example," Palpatine suggested, throwing his hand toward my presence to clarify Padme.

Master Windu and I exchanged a knowing look. He appeared to be okay with the idea.

"That will work. It may even aid in to also involving Master Kenobi, an old friend of Padme as well," Master Windu continued with Palpatine's suggestion. "He has just returned from a Border dispute on Ansion."

Padme's emotions seemed to be in a state of turmoil, as far as I could tell. She was hesitant to put our lives in danger over this issue. It might have seemed a bit exaggerated to witness it, but Padme was adamant that it wasn't needed. 

"It'll be all right, Padme," I placed my hand on her arm. "Whoever is attacking, whether it is Dooku or not, you'll be safe. It seems that you can handle this, but we're dealing with possibly something far more dangerous for someone like you to face alone."

Padme let out a gentle sigh and ultimately accepted the terms. Master Windu assigned me to accompany her while Obi-Wan and Anakin received additional information during the briefing after I transmitted it to them.