Dixon's Daughter

You were taking watch with Andrea. Your dad had gone looking for Sophia, but he left you behind. You were on the constant lookout for her. She had gotten lost in the woods when your group came across a herd of walkers.

"We've got a walker!" Andrea announced. You grabbed the binoculars and looked to where she had pointed. There was something off about how it was walking. Not the normal slow pace, but this looked labored.

You climbed off of the RV with your crossbow and ran towards the figure. Rick, Shane, T-Dog, and Glenn were following you. As you got closer you realized that the figure was Daryl, your dad.

"Andrea! Don't shoot!" You yelled as loud as you could. You hoped to God that she could hear you.

Against your better judgement, you raised your crossbow and aimed it at Daryl's head.

"What, my own daughter gunna shoot me?" Daryl asked with a breathless laugh.

The others had caught up to you by now, and Rick look almost as relieved as you felt.

That's when you heard the gunshot. Daryl went down. You ran up to him and despite all of the blood and mud covering him, you frantically searched for where the bullet had hit him.

"Right there," Rick pointed, "side of his head!"

You had to move out of the way so Shane and Rick could drag him back to the farm.

"What the hell happened to him?" Glenn asked. He pointed to something around his neck. "He's wearing ears!"

"Let's keep that to ourselves," Rick grunted as he ripped Daryl's makeshift necklace of walker ears from his neck.

Your eyes drifted down to his belt where you saw Sophia's doll. You quickly snatched it from his belt. It was damp, so it must have fallen in a stream of sorts. You stuck the doll into your belt and continued following Rick and Shane up to Hershel's house.

Rick told you to stay outside while they worked on Daryl.

"No way," you tried to push past him. "Rick, lemme go! I'm not a damn child!"

"I know that," Rick sighed. "I'll call you in when Hershel's done working."

Rick disappeared into the house, leaving you on the steps to wait.

After an hour, you were done waiting. You walked around the camp looking for Carol. You found her over by some trees hanging up some of the laundry.

"How is he?" She asked, the worry seeping in her voice.

"I don't know, they won't let me see him, but he came back with this," you showed her the doll. "When I took it from him, it was damp, I'm guessing it was washed down stream or something."

Carol had a look of hope in her eyes.

"There's still plenty of daylight for me to just go back over where he went and look for some other clue," you said.

"I don't think you should go on your own," Carol said. "I can get Andrea or Glenn to go with you, and I'm still not entirely comfortable with that."

"Why does everyone think I'm such a child?" You demanded. Carol was about to say something else but you stormed off.

You found Maggie in the stables.

"I need a horse," you told her.

"Well at least you're asking," she muttered. "I don't think I can do that. I Hershel would have to tell me you can use one."

"Rick gave me permission, Hershel was in the room when he did and Hershel said nothing about it," you lied.

"Well," Maggie seemed hesitant. "I'll give you one, but you have to be back by nightfall."