"How did you know-"

"We were together for years, did you really expect me to not know where you put your things?" she asked, unsurprised as she ignored the smile he sent her in response.

"Thank you, Mai."

"Whatever. I don't understand your reasoning but I'll make sure the Fire Nation stays safe until you return."

She stepped back without another word, and Zuko sent her one last smile and a nod before he sent fire in the engine once more. Slowly but surely, the balloon got in the air, and he set course for Kyoshi island. He knew someone that without a doubt, would manage to help him find Homura.

-

The air smelled of salt as the young woman got in the front of the small metal ship she had been in for the last few days, breathing in the fresh morning air, allowing herself to bask in the warmth of the sun she had missed in the last few days - clouds had covered the sky ever since she had left the Fire Nation and it was only now she got to see the rays again - as she ignored the cries of the birds from above the closer they got to port. Around her, the sailors she had paid on the night she had left the Fire Nation to get her to the shores of the Earth Kingdom were readying the ship to port and she made sure she got out of their way. She stayed in the side of the ship, watching the small waves crushing against it, ignoring the few droplets of sea water that fell on her cheeks. Being that close to sea again felt almost liberating, but the waters here were nothing like those she had gotten used to back in Kyoshi island. These waters were darker, deeper, and as far as she knew, there wasn't a huge sea creature in these waters. The ship had finally reached port.

"We're here, young lady," the captain of the ship spoke, and she turned to face him, almost surprised to see him there. Despite her surprise, Homura nodded as she reached up, setting her hair in a bun in an effort to keep it out of her face.

"Thank you for taking me to the Earth kingdom, captain."

He shrugged, already walking away. "You paid."

Homura watched him for a while as he walked away before shaking her head, focusing on her mission. From now on, she had to find a way to get a means of transportation or else she would never manage to leave this village. Where she would go was not yet clear but she knew for sure she had to travel away from the Fire Nation. This was the only way she would manage to start over. 

The crew let down a ladder and she smiled at them slightly as she got down, a while later walking back on solid ground. With her sword on her shoulder, hardly any money on her person and no food at all, Homura started walking around the city aimlessly. She bought something to eat, not nearly enough to satisfy her hunger but enough to get going and then she stopped by the side of the road and sat down. She thought while eating. The only way she would get far was by some means of transportation. That's where her troubles began, though. She didn't have any money to hire someone to take her to another city and she didn't have the money to acquire an animal either. Still, an ostrich horse would have been really useful at the moment.

Homura let out a sigh. She had to work and get money if she ever wished to acquire an ostrich horse, but she didn't have enough time. Part of her believed that even though she had left a letter and had told Zuko to not follow after her, he wouldn't listen, or he would send Ty Lee after her. This city she was in - more like village - was too close to the Fire Nation and on top of that, it was a small society. Everyone would know if she stayed in this place. She could already hear the children playing at the field close to the place she had rested at murmuring and pointing at her. Before the sun fell, she was certain everyone in the village would know of her appearance. She couldn't stay in such a place. She had to leave as soon as possible and to do that, she was afraid she would have to take measures she wouldn't have usually taken.