칠07

The walk to the diner was insipid, with Haneul blabbering on about god knew what and you being busy with your thoughts cursing yourself for still thinking about that stupid-ass boy

The walk to the diner was insipid, with Haneul blabbering on about god knew what and you being busy with your thoughts cursing yourself for still thinking about that stupid-ass boy. You had been so wrapped up in your own head, you failed to notice Haneul had come to a halt and you mindlessly continued walking wherever you felt like until she grasped your hand, tugging you backward, "Where are you going?"

The diner looked like any other of its kind and you were sure you wouldn't have given it a second glance had it been back in the city, but right now, the fluorescent lights and overwhelming smell of fried food inside it provided the much-needed break to your kernels after having seen only an endless maze of green, green and more green throughout the day.

The bar was mostly desolate except for an old couple at the very corner sipping on milkshakes. Looking at them brought a soft smile to your face.

"Looks like we're early," You looked at Haneul, only for her to roll her eyes, "Stay here, I'll go order for us." Without paying mind to the protests leaving your mouth, she walked away, abandoning you in the middle of the diner. So much for not ditching you.

You stood there like an absolute moron for a while before your train of bitter thoughts was interrupted by the chiming of the bell. You turned around, assuming that Haneul's friends were finally here but turned back at the speed of lightning once you saw who emerged from behind the doors. Choi San and his gang. It was clear that you weren't fast enough and that San had spotted you, he would've anyway but it was worth a try.

"______?" You had already made eye contact but ignored him nevertheless and looked towards where Haneul had disappeared off to. He called your name once more but this time his voice didn't seem as distant. You panicked, almost about to run to the other side but were stopped by a hand being placed on your shoulder, keeping you from the much-needed escape.

You grimaced to yourself and turned to face the boy who wore a scornful expression. You noticed that the rest of the boys had already made their way to the booth farthest away from you, probably not wanting to put up with you any longer. A dry heave left you.

"What?"

You could tell that San was taken aback by your crass response but you could also see hints of resignation. There seemed an insidious glint in his eyes and you should've known he was trouble just from that. What should've tipped you off to how dangerous he truly was, is how he was able to return to normalcy in the blink of an eye.

This should have been the first red flag.

He smiled uneasily, peering at you from under his eyelashes, "You seem lonely, why don't you join us?" The manner in which he spoke, hinted that he already knew your response and you had to swallow the sudden urge to scoff.

"No, thanks."

He had the audacity to look puzzled, tilting his head slightly towards the side and frowning, "Why? Did something happen?"

"Realization happened," You finally snapped, "I know when I'm not wanted somewhere."

For the little time you had known him, San didn't ever seem awkward and always had a mask of nonchalance present on his face, now he was the complete opposite. San seemed fidgety and uncomfortable, in his eyes you saw deep frustration and desperation. It was like a switch had been turned in his brain and before you knew it, the person in front of you seemed someone else.

"You've got it all wr-"

"Let's not talk again San," You sighed, logically knowing this was the right thing to do but your heart aversed, "Ever." You turned away and walked towards the counter, seeing Haneul already walking towards you with glasses of milkshake in her hands and a very confused expression on her face. Her eyes followed to somewhere behind you and you assumed that San had left.

You weren't going to lie to yourself, what happened wasn't really much of a big deal, things like this occurred all the time in high school and hell, you had never felt like this before despite being bullied half your life. You just couldn't justify the sense of betrayal you had felt when Wooyoung refused to look at you, more so when you heard him talk about you in that manner.

Maybe you were the crazy one here but nevertheless, distance (both tangible and abstract) between him and you was paramount at the moment.

"What the hell were you doing with Choi San just now?" Haneul slammed the tray in her hands on the nearest table and gripped your arm, tugging at you to face her. The look she was giving you was one a mother would give to her child, one that you had been on the receiving end of way too many times by your aunt; caution and disappointment.

"You know him?" You asked her, uncertainty lacing your tone.

"Do I know him?" Haneul chuckled sardonically, "Everyone knows him!" She shrieked, rubbing her face in frustration and you didn't utter a word, knowing she had more to say, "And I don't know if anyone has told you this but those boys are trouble, ______," Her tone had taken a solemn turn, "Please stay away from them." That you were already planning to do, but the way Haneul spoke about him piqued your curiosity.

"Wha- why?"

"Just- listen to me this once. They aren't the type of people you wanna be around, trust me." She said, her voice dropping down a few octaves, "Especially that... Wooyoung guy."

Your ears subconsciously perked up at the sound of his name, "What about him?" If Haneul had been looking at you instead of the floor, she would've seen the way your eyes dilated without your knowledge. But she wouldn't know and neither would you.

"He has uh, I don't know how to explain... issues. He isn't normal." Her words made you roll your eyes because that wasn't exactly how you would describe him; Psychopathically deranged was more like it.

This should have been the second red flag.

"Well, I figured that bit." You replied humorlessly, closing your eyes for a moment.

You felt him before you saw him: cold eyes that penetrated through you. The meaning behind them eliciting dangerous behavior. When you opened your eyes, he was all you saw. Dauntingly gorgeous, with beautifully tanned skin that peeked out from under his collar. His sharp features eluded an air of importance and bourgeoisie you had never encountered before. This was the first time you had the pleasure of seeing him candidly and he's what you imagined Adam to have looked like if he existed. There were no words to be exchanged for he was too far away, sitting several meters away in a booth right at the end of the entire diner. From there he would have a perfect view of everything, yet his focus was solely on you. You couldn't ignore the sudden tug at your heartstrings even if you tried.

It was unnerving to say the least, the way his eyes pierced into your own, your body slumped slightly as you both exchanged a look. One that implied so much yet said so little.

 One that implied so much yet said so little