Narcissistic behavior

Most psychologists classify narcissistic behavior as a person who manipulates others by degrading them and destroying their self-esteem and self-worth. The narcissist will project their shortcomings and insecurities, making the victim feel at fault. The majority of serial killers possess this behavior, along with uncertainties, they conceal from others. We would learn this the hard way when we came face-to-face with the Lakewood serial killer and realize they weren't working alone.

Dad scoured through files as Joe pulled boxes, and Charlie pulled evidence. They set up a board in a room, tacking pictures of the victims from the Leland murders and Lakewood murders, including Gale, Jeremy, the sheriff, and deputy. Dad wrote information next to each image and drew lines to the victims, leaving a photo without a picture at the bottom.

He stood back and looked at the display, analyzing the information.

"That's a lot of victims," Charlie mentioned.

"Too many for a small, fishing town where nothing happens," Dad replied.

"Both towns are vacation towns for tourists. Wouldn't it make sense to commit these crimes during the tourist season?" Joe questioned.

"No, because people would panic. It's different in bigger cities like Detroit, New York, and Chicago. Most inhabitants consider it a common crime. When it happens in towns like Leland and Lakewood, it becomes more prominent," Dad explained.

"Well, we know both cases are connected," Charlie said, pointing at the groupings.

"We know my lying, cheating dead wife had a kid with that asshole," Joe mentioned, pointing at Gale and the sheriff.

Dad and Charlie looked at Joe.

"Yeah, I'm still bitter," Joe mumbled.

Dad and Charlie rolled their eyes.

"Okay, let's say the child that Gale and the sheriff had together is part of this, how do we connect the dots while uncovering the identity. Most birth records sealed if a child is adopted," Dad said.

"Adopted?" Charlie questioned.

"Do you think Gale would keep a child, knowing it would destroy her perfect life?" Dad asked with a look.

"Okay, so we thought wrong up until this point. We thought the deputy and Gale got involved with each other when it turned out to be the sheriff. Gale hid her pregnancy. What if she came to Leland to deliver the baby and others found out?" Charlie asked.

"That could be the reason why Gale argued with Henry the day that Crenshaw saw them," Dad reasoned.

"We know that eight murders occurred in the summer of 2005. How do you slip out of place and slip back in without people suspecting anything?" Charlie questioned.

"It's not difficult at the cabin. Most people are in and out of vacation rentals from Memorial weekend to Labor Day weekend," Joe answered.

"Let's revisit the timeline of the Leland murders. The eight victims were young women who were wives and mothers. We know that Gale targeted these women for a specific reason. Then fast forward thirteen years later in Lakewood, most of the victims were teen girls except for the sheriff, deputy, and the hermit," Dad mentioned.

"I can see why the killer would target the sheriff and deputy, but why a hermit?" Charlie questioned.

"A distraction," Joe answered.

Dad and Charlie looked at Joe.

"Think about it, if someone dies, the police investigate, leaving another unattended," Joe reasoned.