32: Fly little bird

Start from the beginning

The Septon started reciting a sermon as they stood there. Robin did not listen to a word of it. All he could focus on was the burning feeling of Desmera's hand in his. He swore to himself to always protect her. Because he had fallen in love instantly, like only a boy who knows nothing about life can. The pure innocent love of a child who is yet to experience true hardship.

Robin didn't see the tears running down Desmera's cheeks. Tears for the life she was leaving behind. Tears out of fear for what was to come.

"It's time to remove the's bride's cloak," the Septon declared.

Lord Royce untied the straps on Desmera's red cloak and lifted it from her shoulders.

The Septon then handed Robin a blue cloak instead, the color of his own house. Robin went over to his bride and carefully placed it on her shoulders. As he tied the straps his hand accidentally brushed against her breast. This made him blush profusely and he looked down on the floor to avoid meeting her eyes. He wanted to apologize but figured this might ruin the ceremony.

Just one more thing remained before the ceremony was over. Before they would be husband and wife forever.

"The marriage will be sealed with a kiss," the Septon continued. "Will the bride and groom pledge your allegiance to each other?"

None of them had ever kissed before. Now they were supposed to do for the first time in front of hundreds of people.

"With this kiss, I pledge my love," Robin said.

"With this kiss, I pledge my love," Desmera repeated.

Robin put his hands on both sides of her face. Just to make sure he aimed correctly.

And he moved his face closer to hers until suddenly his lips met hers, and he kind of just stayed there. Unsure of what to do next. It was a weird kiss. But still, it wasn't unpleasant. It could have been worse. He could have accidentally bit her.

"I take you for my lord and husband, Lord Robin Arryn," Desmera said as he finally moved his lips from hers and the awkward kiss ended.

"And I take you for my lady and wife. Lady Desmera Arryn", Robin said and took her hand again as they turned around and faced the crowd.

"One flesh, one heart, one soul, now and forever," the Septon said. "You are now Lord and Lady Arryn."

Hand in hand they walked out of the hall. Not children anymore but husband and wife.

***

When Robin entered the bedchamber for their wedding night Desmera was already on the bed. The maids had led her in there, undressed her, and placed her on the bed in just her nightgown.

Her red hair laid like a crown around her. Her lips were as red as her hair and her eyes were green like the lush hills of her homelands. Her nightgown was lacy and so sheer it was almost see-through. She just laid there waiting for what was about to happen. Not smiling. Not crying. Just waiting.

And poor Robin had no idea what to do. He didn't even know what couples did on their wedding night. He had a basic idea from books he read but no idea how the actual logistics of it worked. Lord Royce was not the kind of man who had ever tried to have that conversation with him and Robin had no other parents or guardians to ask.

He stood there looking at her for a while. His eyes met hers. She looked scared he thought. Scared of him, the little bird who was never supposed to fly. Then he sat down on the edge of the bed, his back towards her.

"I'm not going to..." he said to his bride behind him. "I mean... I don't know..."

He heard her stirring behind him and suddenly she was sitting next to him.